Style > Beauty

Makeup Tips for Fair Skin That Are Actually Helpful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Drugstores won’t let you swatch, so how are you supposed to find your perfect foundation match? What happens if that new concealer just doesn’t come light enough to brighten your under eyes? As a fair-skinned gal, I’ve been there, and I know just how frustrating it is when you can’t seem to get it right. Here are some products and tips I’ve discovered after trying too many things that left me mismatched and orange.

Foundation

Not only is it hard to choose a foundation formula that you love, but then finding the right fair/light shade is a whole ‘nother struggle. Some brands have a huge range with limited options for those at the beginning and end of the spectrum. But, after Rihanna released the Fenty foundation, standards in the beauty industry have changed. The Fenty Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation has 11 fair to light shades to choose from and is loved by many. If you’ve tried it already and don’t love the formula, or you’re looking for something new and upcoming, Tarte is releasing a re-formulated Shape Tape Foundation with 10 fair to light shades and 5 undertones (coming February 17th, 2019).

Concealer

Concealer is a must for fair skin–skin that seems to show every blemish or tiny bit of redness 10x more than you want it to. I’ve been there and I always reach for my holy grail, Tarte Shape Tape Contour Concealer. This concealer is high coverage, creamy, and non-drying, perfect for the under-eyes and concealing those pesky red spots.

​Bronzer

This category is probably the trickiest to get right for us fair-skinned ladies. Most bronzers that are too warm won’t give us that golden JLo look we’re going for. Instead, they’ll look orange and we’re suddenly in Oompa Loompa territory. Nobody wants that, so it’s best to look for a neutral-toned bronzer that leans towards a tan/brown. I recommend the Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer in Light to Medium & Medium to Deep. It might seem like Medium to Deep wouldn’t work, but this formula is super buildable and easy to blend so if you want a deeper bronzed look without all the effort, the medium shade works perfectly.

Blush

Blush is a difficult product to finesse for fair skin. Do you not wear it and fear looking like a ghost? Do you wear it and risk looking like a clown because it’s just too visible? A light, buildable formula in pastel pinks and peaches is the answer. My personal favorite is the Burt’s Bees blush formula in Shy Pink and Bare Peach. The formula is pigmented with a barely-there glow and blends easily so you can look perfectly flushed, and not like you just went for a 10-mile run.

I’m a fair skin gal who’s made all the mistakes so you don’t have to. Still want more tips? Check out this super helpful tutorial by beauty influencer Jaclyn Hill!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.