Maria Scheller-Best Friends Holding Hands Sunflower Field Dresses Summer Happy Sunset
Maria Scheller / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

Long-Distance Friendships: 3 Ways to Stay Close From Miles Away

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Finding a best friend can be a long process, yet staying close as both of your lives change and evolve is an entirely new battle.  At least, this was my experience as I headed off to Boston University this past fall and moved my whole life over 2,000 miles away. Yet in moving my life, I realized I was also leaving behind my best friend. While I’m sure many people have experienced the sadness of leaving behind old friends, moving away doesn’t always mean your friendship has to end. These three tips have helped me stay close to my best friend, and hopefully will help you and your bestie do the same!

Create Common Experiences

Most friendships are built off of shared experiences and interests, and this shouldn’t change once you live apart. My friend and I love to watch TV series together, so we plan times to watch an episode of our current favorite show. Think about what you and your friend enjoy doing, and try to experience that together a few times a month. Whether it’s reading a book, listening to a podcast, or watching a show, doing these things together will allow you to stay connected even if you can’t spend time together in person.

Talk Regularly

Texting is a great way for people to stay in touch, yet I’ve found that even texting can’t replace a full conversation. Make time at least once every week or two to either FaceTime or talk on the phone in order to catch up on what’s going on in each other’s lives. While it may be difficult to line up your schedules, prioritizing time with each other will ensure that you won’t drift apart.

Accept Changes

Whether you and your friend decide to keep in touch, it’s important to acknowledge the fact that your relationship will inevitably end up changing. You may not be able to keep up with each other’s lives as well as you did before, and you may find it difficult to make time for each other, and that’s okay. As your lives evolve, your friendship will as well, but this doesn’t make it less valuable. If anything, you and your best friend’s relationship will only become stronger as you grow.

Moving to college is a big step in life, and doing it without your best friend can be a big challenge. These three tips will hopefully help you and your bestie stay close as you work toward your futures.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Ruby is a sophomore from Phoenix, Arizona studying computer science and media science at BU. She loves to express her passions through writing, and hopes to help some readers along the way. Besides writing for Her Campus, Ruby spends her time cooking, reading, and exploring new coffee shops.