This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you are reading this, you probably live in the bustling metropolis of Boston. And as much as we love our city, we’re all bound to feel the urge to swap out skyscrapers for trees and sirens for silence. Nature reminds us that we are a part of something bigger than ourselves, our schedules and the rush of everyday life. When you take in the silent beauty of nature, you ease out of that bubble of stress and dread you’ve been walking around in for the past week. It’s not only good for the soul, but for the mind and body as well. While the weather is still nice, I encourage you to spend some outside. Among the friendly trees and fragrant flora, you can take a deep lungful of fresh oxygen (whereas on the city streets, you might take a breath and think, “wow, I really wish I hadn’t done that…”). 

Because you need this, I have compiled a list of local urban sanctuaries ranging from a tame city park to hardcore wildlife extravaganza. Enjoy!

1. Boston Common, founded in 1634, the Boston Common is the oldest, and arguably the most charming, park in America. You can become a part of its rich history simply by laying down your picnic blanket and enjoying lunch in this green oasis surrounded by city life. My favorite time to be there is just before sundown when the surrounding skyscrapers begin to glow.

2. Jamaica Pond, photographed above is the perfect place to spend a leisurely Sunday afternoon and watch the colors change on the water at sunset. There is a 1.5 mile path around the pond for jogging, and boats and kayaks can be purchased at the boat house.

3. Arnold Arboretum, along with Jamaica Pond, is one of the parks in Boston’s Emerald Necklace six-park system that reaches from Mid-Boston to Brookline. This is a beautiful place, overflowing with plant life of all kinds.  Read a book by the still pond, stretch out on the grass, take a stroll and immerse yourself in the green landscape. 

4. The Boston Nature Center is “like a little chunk of heaven in the city,” according to Malika Walker, a camp counselor there. Here, you can find hundreds of miles of hiking trails, meadows and other open spaces to explore and enjoy a change of scenery. 

5. Camping on the Boston Harbor Islands would be in “tents.” Excuse the pun, but this is really the place to spend a weekend if you want to get out of the city. Choose an island: Grape, Bumpkin, or Lovells where you can pitch a tent on the beach, collect shells, go tide-pooling, hike, or even run a 5k if you so desire. It’s only a short distance from the city, but this camping destination seems to be a world away. Here, you can truly unplug and unwind.

It will be worth it to clear your schedule for one day and enjoy some time rejuvenating outside while the weather is still nice. You may get a little dirty, but I promise that you’ll come away feeling refreshed and cleaner than ever.

Traveling from the San Francisco Bay Area, Gigi Fox is a member of Boston University's class of 2020. She has a passion for all kinds of writing and visual design. While her major is currently undecided, she is intrigued by both communications and the social sciences. She is an avid magazine reader and a part-time blogger, which makes HER Campus an inspirational creative outlet for her.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.