Let’s Talk About Dogs: Ranking The Best Breeds for Apartment Living

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Everyone knows dogs are (wo)man’s best friend, and being confined to the limited space of an apartment doesn’t change this. Luckily, there are plenty of fun-sized dogs out there that will fit perfectly into an urban lifestyle. In fact, there are so many that it may be difficult to determine which city dog is right for you.

So of all the many minis, which are the best? With the help of the American Kennel Club (AKC), I’ll answer that question. Without further ado, here are some of the best dog breeds for apartment living.

The Pug

That’s right; the #1 spot on my list goes to the Pug, a well-loved breed and internet sensation, despite their rank of 29 out of 195 on the AKC’s popularity list. Though I may be a little biased since my family owned a Pug for over a decade, the AKC seems to agree with me that this adaptable breed would thrive anywhere — including your apartment. On the breed’s page, it states that “Pugs are happy in the city or country, with kids or old folks, as an only pet or in a pack.”

Here are the pros: Pugs are friendly and trainable, they are all but barkless, they need only limited exercise to avoid becoming overweight, and they will be perfectly content relaxing the day away.

There aren’t many downsides to these adorable little couch potatoes, but there are a few things a potential owner must consider.

Here are the cons: Pugs shed more than any other dog on this list, and they are prone to breathing issues.

The Boston Terrier

I promise I’m not just trying to please Boston University when I choose the Boston Terrier as the second-best apartment dog. Though this breed fell just outside of the top 20 on the AKC’s list, they still have the AKC’s endorsement. According to their breed page, the Boston Terrier “will make an excellent urban pet.”

Here are the pros: Boston Terriers are very friendly, they don’t bark a lot, they don’t shed or drool much, and they require limited grooming.

However, I wouldn’t say these dogs are necessarily low-maintenance. If you won’t be able to walk or play with your dog often, Boston Terriers might not be right for you.

Here are the cons: Boston Terriers overflow with energy, so they need to be stimulated frequently.

The Whippet

With all the beauty, grace, and character of a greyhound, but in a much more apartment-friendly size, it’s a wonder to me that these little dogs are not more popular! According to the AKC’s list, they fell at a disappointing 59 out of 195, but perhaps their time in the spotlight is coming. 

Here are the pros: Whippets are very affectionate towards their family, they require limited grooming, they shed minimally, they don’t drool, and they don’t bark.

I will concede, though, that there may be some difficulties to consider when thinking about adopting a Whippet. 

Here are the cons: Whippets are high-energy and require a fair amount of mental stimulation, and the AKC states that you should “keep your Whippet on lead when not in a fenced area.” 

The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, or “Cavs” for short, are another popular breed, ranking 17 out of 195 on the AKC’s 2020 list. There are many things to love about this breed, not the least of which being their sweet nature that the AKC says makes them “fantastic therapy dogs.”

Here are the pros: Cavs are incredibly friendly, their shedding and grooming are surprisingly manageable, they’re very trainable, they don’t drool much, and they have a very adaptable energy level.

However, no dog is perfect. Though the regal Cavalier King Charles Spaniel might want you to believe they are the exception to this rule, even this breed has flaws. 

Here are the cons: Beware of a few health problems (such as obesity); they can’t be let off-leash in unenclosed areas and they may bark more than the other dogs on this list.

The French Bulldog

French Bulldogs, sometimes affectionately referred to as “Frenchies” are a fan-favorite among dog lovers. In fact, the AKC listed them as the second most popular breed in 2020, and deservedly so!

Here are the pros: Frenchies are incredibly friendly, they don’t shed much, they require limited grooming, the AKC says they are “people pleasers and therefore easy to train,” they don’t need too much exercise, and they rarely bark.

These characteristics make the French Bulldog seem like a city-dweller’s perfect companion, but there are a few caveats that forced me to place these pooches in the #5 position. 

Here are the cons: Unfortunately, Frenchies tend to have health issues (especially breathing problems originating from their flat faces), they can’t swim and must be watched carefully around water (this includes full bathtubs), and they are prone to obesity.

This concludes my list of best dog breeds for apartment living. I hope you found this helpful, or, at the very least, enjoyed reading about some cute dogs. Remember, there are lots of things to think about when choosing a dog, including whether or not you’re ready for the responsibilities that come with pet ownership. 

My best breed may not be the same as yours; I recommend you do your own research and find your perfect puppy!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Devan Colby is the senior editor and writing director at the Her Campus at BU chapter. She oversees all articles that the chapter publishes on the site, and occasionally writes some of her own. Outside of Her Campus, Devan is also a feature writer for The Daily Free Press, the independent student newspaper at Boston University. She has also interned with her local Nexstar-owned TV news station as a member of their digital team, where she helped produce content for the station's corresponding website. She is currently a junior at Boston University majoring in both journalism and political science. Writing is Devan's main pastime, and even when not working for a publication, she loves to write creatively. She is also a hobbyist visual artist with an interest in photojournalism. When she's not creating, she can be found going for runs around the city with friends or fawning over her quartet of houseplants.