Style > Beauty

Let’s Get Real About Garnier’s Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s no secret that skincare has blown up the past few years, with everything from 10-step Korean beauty routines to donkey milk and 24k gold being the “secret success” of skincare products. We also can’t forget the charcoal and bubble mask blow-ups that I honestly thought made for good Snapchats and entertainment more than anything else. But I digress.

With all the products out there in the market today, it can be hard to decipher which ones actually do what they say and work the way they claim to. I’ve been going through this trial-and-error process since I started high school, and that seven-year journey has been tough at times. Throughout this journey, Garnier has always been a brand I can come back to.

Firstly, I’m a drugstore fanatic. Don’t get me wrong—I’m willing to invest in skincare and makeup that really works for my skin (hence the obscene amount of money I’ve spent on foundation the past few years), but if I don’t have to pay $30 for a good cleanser to remove my makeup, I’m not going to. Enter Garnier.

Photo Credit: Pinterest

Admittedly, I first used Garnier for their makeup. Their BB-cream is a summertime staple in my makeup routine. Once the micellar water craze hit though, I was instantly hooked on Garnier’s Micellar Cleansing Water. It removed my makeup better than any wipes I had ever used, but it didn’t feel like it was stripping my skin. I’ve been using it for about five years now, so imagine my delight when the range expanded to include a face wash. 

The SkinActive Micellar Foaming Gel Cleanser foams to remove makeup, cleanse, and refresh the skin without stripping it, which means you won’t get that dry, tight feeling on your face after using it. As someone with oily skin, I always thought that dry, tight feeling was good because it meant I was getting rid of all of the oil in my skin. Boy, did I learn my lesson with that one (hint: stripping it just makes your body produce double the oil to compensate. Don’t make my mistakes). This face wash caters to all skin types, even sensitive-skinned folks like myself, and is free of oil, alcohol, and fragrance while also mattifying your pores.

Photo Credit: Arianna Bouchard

Now, these were some bold claims coming from a product that is only $8.99 (!!!) so I decided to give it a go. I will say that the product doesn’t really foam. It turns more into a lathery type consistency I’d consider more aligned with a cream cleanser. That being said, I was very unbothered by this because of how good my skin felt after. My skin felt so clean without feeling really dry or crusty. It was soft to the touch but didn’t feel oily. Truthfully, I’ve only used it a couple of times, so I’ll have to get back to you on how my sensitive skin reacts to it, but so far it’s a 9/10 from me.

Let’s talk hair for a sec, because yes, Garnier also has you covered in that area of your life. My hair type is that my hair can’t quite decide what it wants to be. I have wavy hair that is not quite curly, but if I try to brush it when it’s dry, it turns into a big puff on top of my head. Half the time, it’s in a bun because it refuses to cooperate in terms of puffiness and frizz. I also have color-treated hair, which I’ve been dyeing on-and-off since I was 12. Therefore, I need to take extra good care of my hair to prevent breakage and dryness.

Insert the Whole Blends Miracle Nectar 10-in-1 Serum. This serum moisturizes, detangles, repairs, prevents split ends, tames frizz, restores softness, strengthens, nourishes, and reduces breakage in your hair while also protecting from the heat. That’s a whole lot for $8.

I decided to give this product a go as well while having a pampered night in. Now, I can’t speak to the detangling claims as I had already brushed my hair when I put it in, but the next morning my hair was shinier, softer, and much more manageable in terms of frizz. I put it on my hair while it was damp, but it can be applied dry as well, much like most leave-in conditioners. The secret to this product is the three main ingredients: honey for nutrients, propolis (aka bee cement) for nourishing, and Royal Jelly for repairing damaged and dry hair. Apparently, the worker bees in the hive collect Royal Jelly for the Queen, so you know it’s fit for royalty, while at a drugstore price.

Photo Credit: Arianna Bouchard​

Overall, I give these products a solid 8 or 9 out of 10, partially because I’ve only used them once or twice so I can’t speak to their long-term effects. But for under $10, you can bet I’ll keep using and enjoying them. Thanks, Garnier!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hi, I'm Arianna! I'm a senior at Boston University majoring in journalism. I love cats, food, hockey, and anything beauty related. I write about "How to College" and what has helped me in my transition process from tiny high school to huge university. I hope you enjoy!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.