Jean’s Jams: Soulful February Playlist For You to Groove To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Lately, my Youtube recommendations have been gifting me with absolute gems for songs. Some of these tunes you might recognize from popular movie soundtracks such as Baby Driver or Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2. Others are treasures courtesy of the Youtube algorithm working in my favor for once. Either way, they’re all sick beats that’ll make you feel the full range of emotions from being in love and having your heart broken with no actual relationship necessary!

“When Something Is Wrong With My Baby” by Sam & Dave

This song debuted in my life after I watched Baby Driver and it gets me every. Darn. Time. This song will make you long to be with your one true love even if you haven’t met them yet. It sounds like a song that you would listen to as you drank a milkshake alone at a diner that’s about to close. Have fun crying to it.

“How Can You Mend A Broken Heart” by Al Green

This song is what would show up in your recent Google search tab even though it wasn’t what you intended to find. Nevertheless, you’re glad you found it. It played in the background of a rather angsty scene in the TV show Sex Education and I fell in love. Al Green’s somber tone so perfectly captures the woes of one reminiscing about a past lover. 10/10 guaranteed to make you feel the blues.

“Love of My Life” by Queen

Here’s a nice piano ballad to either soothe you or make you cry. Queen is a classic, but this song is so delicate and has so much emotion; it’ll make your heart bleed with pain even if you’ve never lost someone. The lyrics tell the story of a man who has been abandoned by his lover, but what’s so compelling is that it’s not necessarily the person he misses, it’s the love he no longer receives from them that affects him more.

“Be My Baby” by The Ronettes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV5tgZlTEkQ

A bit more chipper than the last two, this upbeat jam is perfect to play on a sunny day as you walk to class or if you want a good tune to dance to in the shower. It also sounds like a song that would play as non-diegetic background noise as we witness someone daydream about a crush. So if you plan to do that instead of paying attention in lecture, pull this song up to set the mood.

“Build Me Up Buttercup” by The Foundations

Another happy go lucky tune for y’all. Hype for when you finish a class or when you need a pick me up in the middle of a rough week.

“Something” by The Beatles

Discovered this song through the movie Across the Universe and it’s such a nice, calming song to play if you need to wind down and relax.

“Hopelessly Devoted to You” by Rex Orange County

Originally from the beloved Grease soundtrack, this modern take on the classic song will have you pensive, a little lonely, and ready to delve into full-blown sadboi hours.

“Conversations In The Dark” by John Legend

The cutest music video along with Legend’s smooth vocals will have you slow dancing in your room like something out of the Joker movie, but in a romantic way.

“One Last Time” by Summer Salt

Never heard of Summer Salt before I accidentally stumbled upon this song, but this has a lighthearted tune in contrast to the rather sullen lyrics. If you’re alone for Valentine’s Day (which is actually a line in the song!) and want to reminisce, tread lightly around this song. It’ll definitely make you unearth painful memories from the past, but hey, at least you’ll have a good song playing in the background.

“Fooled Around and Fell in Love” by Elvin Bishop

When I hear this song, I can see the scene in Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. II as Gamora and Peter are sharing earbuds and listening to his walkman. Hopeless romantics and unrequited lovers unite as we finish our love story playlist with this vibey tune.

Hope you enjoy these beats! Have a happy February and an amazing Valentine’s Day!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Jeanzelle Soliven (also known as Jean) is currently a Sophomore studying Film/TV at Boston University. Jean is a talkative person with a creative soul that loves to entertain and connect with others. In her free time, she enjoys journaling, baking, watching movies, and spending time with friends, family, and her dog. Jean also has a major sweet tooth so you'll be sure to find her making matcha lattes at the nearest dining hall or scouting out the nearest boba shop.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.