Japanese Desserts: Five Pastries You Should Try at Japonaise Bakery and Café

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

By Lauren Ren 

Photos by Kayla Haubert

If you’re like me, an Asian-American who grew up on Asian cuisine, you would sometimes crave for Asian desserts. However, even in a large city like Boston, such desserts aren’t always easy to find. Luckily, I happened to stumble upon this French-Japanese fusion bakery and café two years ago, and boy, the pastries and cakes there did not disappoint at all.

The bakery, called Japonaise Bakery and Café, opened in 1985 and sits at 1020 Beacon Street, Brookline MA. The outside looks quaint and refined, and delicious aromas waft from the inside. Although passersby may not notice the shop at first glance due to its subdued colors and simple design, they will surely be in for a treat once they open the doors.

French and Japanese desserts are both well known for their dainty craftsmanship and the perfect amount of sweetness. Fused together, they make a mouth-watering combo for any dessert lover. Thus, for my other Japanese and French dessert fans, or those of you who want to venture into some semi-exotic dessert tasting, I went back to the café yesterday with my fellow team member, and we put together this list of pastries that we recommend the most:

1. Ichigo Cream

The word Ichigo means “strawberry” in Japanese. This flaky croissant comes dusted with powdered sugar and features a creamy interior with fresh strawberries. Unlike many American desserts that use a heavy, rich cream, the Ichigo Cream has a light texture that brings delight with every bite.

2. Strawberry Shortcake

Stand back, Lady M! I think you’re about to meet your rival. Japonaise Bakery and Café bakes fresh cakes every day, and they are famous for this particular one. After taking the first bite, I now know why. The cream on top feels smooth to the touch, and the cake itself is airy and delicate. Also, bonus points for bringing out the natural flavor of strawberries, which gives the cake a slightly tart taste.

3. Jiji Pan 

Pan means “bread” in Japanese. Thus, this is Jiji Bread, made from chocolate dough with small brushes of cookie dough for the eyes. Jiji is a cartoon cat featured in the famous Studio Ghibli film, Kiki’s Delivery Service. This character bun looks almost too cute to eat, with its adorable eyes and rounded shape. Once we bit into it, we knew that there was no going back. The inside is stuffed with a chocolate cream that only tasted mildly sweet, perfectly complementing the sweetness of the bread itself. On a side note, the café sells a variety of character buns, featuring characters such as Totoro from My Neighbor Totoro, another famous Ghibli film.

4. Matcha An Pan 

This literally means “Green Tea Red Bean Bread.” Unlike normal green tea, matcha is made when tea leaves are grounded into a fine powder. The bread is pear-shaped and green in color, giving it a luscious glow. The inside is filled with sweet red bean paste, which feels rich and satisfying in itself. However, the matcha exterior balances out the sweetness with a slightly bitter tang. This bittersweet combination would taste heavenly with some milk tea, the perfect combination for chilly fall nights.

5. Melon Pan

Despite its name, melon bread does not actually taste like melon. The bread got its name from its appearance, a creamy round exterior with a crisscross design that resembles a cantaloupe. This bread is made from sweet dough and wrapped in a cookie dough shell. My teammate described the taste as, “if sugar cookies were bread, this is what they would taste like.” Melon Pan is famous in Japanese culture as it also features in anime, the country’s infamous animation series. The most famous anime featuring Melon Pan is Shakugan no Shana. To all the sweet bread and anime fans, this one is for you!

I had tons of fun reviewing these treats not only because of my Asian heritage but also because of my love for Japanese animation and culture. If you want to learn more about Japanese culture, consider hanging out with members of Boston University’s very own Japanese Student Association (JSA). They have a Halloween event coming up on October 26 called “Haunted School.” Below are the details of the event:

What: JSA Presents: Haunted School

When: October 26, 2018, at 7-11 PM

Where: 520 Park Drive, Boston MA 02215

Price: $3 at the door

Japanese Student Association Contact Information:

Email: bujsa@bu.edu

Instagram: @thebujsa

Website: http://thebujsa.wixsite.com/bujsa

Facebook Messenger: m.me/thebujsa

Japonaise Bakery and Café Contact Information:

Email: Japonaise617@gmail.com

Website: JaponaiseBakery.com

Phone: (617) 566-7730

Also, check them out on Facebook/Instagram/Twitter!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.