This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Let’s face it, going out every night isn’t for everyone. Curling up in bed with a blanket and binge-watching a show on Netflix can be just what you need to wind down after a long day of lectures. 

But the pressure to attend every party is high when you feel like you have to go because everyone else is. Most of the time, this means that even after an exhausting day of classes, you rush home to get ready for a night out that you won’t actually enjoy. 

I’m here to tell you that it’s time to put your days of burnout behind you and just stay in. The next time you’re debating whether you should go out or stay in, keep these things in mind: 

Not Everyone Is Actually Going to be there

That feeling of everyone being somewhere without you can be uncomfortable, but you have to remind yourself that you’re not the only one at home. I promise just because you’ve seen some private story posts of people ready to hit the town doesn’t mean that everyone is going to be there. It’s going to feel like you’re the only one who wants to stay in when all you see are people posting videos of dancing and having fun. But there are definitely others who feel the same as you. 

If all your closest friends are heading out, you can take this as an opportunity to meet new people who prefer to keep things low-key. If you don’t want to spend your night alone, try to find out who on your floor is staying in. And if all else fails, some quality alone time never hurts. Put on a face mask, find a cringey rom-com and treat yourself to well-deserved self-care.

Why Be Somewhere You Don’t Want to Be?

Honestly, are you even going to have fun if you don’t want to go out in the first place? It’s a difficult question to ask, but you might be doing yourself a favor. 

If you’ve had a long day, there are probably more benefits to taking the night off so you can enjoy the rest of your weekend. Going out when you’re not really feeling it could completely drain your energy, and you probably won’t even have fun. With one well-rested night, you will have enough energy to make the most of the rest of your weekend. 

Start listening to your intuition. Once you feel your social battery starting to drain, let yourself take a break before you completely burn yourself out. There is nothing wrong with staying in.

This Isn’t Going To Be The Only Party

College is all about going out, so there will definitely be more chances to hit the town when you’re ready for it. Not heading out on Friday night doesn’t mean you won’t have the chance to go out the next night or the weekend after. 

Missing one night out won’t be the end of the world, even if sometimes it feels like it might be. There will be countless opportunities to go out in college, so you might as well go when you want to. 

Getting dressed up doesn’t have to be reserved for parties, either! If that’s not your thing, try finding a nice restaurant and go to dinner. But whatever you do, make sure that’s what you want. 

Finding a healthy balance between going out and staying in can be hard, but you have to do what’s best for you! I promise — one party isn’t going to change your life.

It’s ok to take a break; you deserve it!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Rayea Jain is a contributing writer at the HerCampus at the Boston University chapter. She primarily publishes lifestyle content focused on dating advice and pop-culture! Outside of Her Campus, Rayea hosts a celebrity radio show called "Trash Talk" on WTBU and a contributing anchor/newswriter for WTBU news. She is also a member of the multimedia team at the Daily Free Press, an independent student newspaper at Boston University. Writing has been a long-time passion of Rayea's, but in her freetime she can be found rewatching New Girl or Gilmore Girls.