It’s April 2019, Why Does It Still Feel Like 2018?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

When I was younger, I used to think that I would instantly feel different or be taller after the ball dropped or when I turned a new age.

But, alas, I never did. Since probably the age of 16, the years have blended together. And while I still fit into all the clothes I wore when I was 16, it’s hard to believe that was only 3 years ago.

However, I have begun to feel my age again when I was 18, last year. I had graduated a semester early so 2018 was my gap year; it was, in fact, a year of self-discovery and self-reflection.

Maybe another reason why my strange self has not accepted that it is not 2018 is that, growing up, I kept thinking and looking forward to graduating high school in 2018. I was always in the class of 2018 and after that year my life would finally begin.

And now that my life “has begun,” I feel weird because there is no set plan. Sure I’ll graduate from college, but besides that, it’s all up in the air.

This beginning to 2019 has been great thus far and I’m excited to see what the rest of the year has to offer. Maybe in a few months, I’ll realize that 2018 is in the past, and not knowing what the future holds is okay.

Less than a year from now I will begin my roaring 20s, in less than 2 years we will have a new president and less than 4 years from now I will be graduating from college. That’s all I really know and we’ll see what happens.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterestboard, and read our latest Tweets!

I'm a sophomore at Boston University studying journalism and public health.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.