Instant Coffee: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Instant coffee is a necessary evil. We can all turn up our noses and grimace at the very mention of the name, but it’s inevitable that, at one point, we’ll find ourselves staring into a tube of the stuff, whether it’s out of desperation (when it’s 2 a.m. in the middle of finals week) or curiosity. Can instant coffee actually be a pleasurable experience? Here’s a guide that’ll save you a lot of nasty trial and error.

1. The ugly

These are the brands that should send you running and screaming down the grocery or convenience store aisles. A lot of coffee drinking boils down to personal taste, but these have been received pretty badly across the board. Both of them taste like the aftermath of a nuclear apocalypse—burned, acidic, and tragic. If you only have these on hand…drink some tea instead.

2. The bad(ish)

Some brands are salvageable, believe it or not. Instant coffee isn’t held to the same standards as regular coffee, but if you’re going to drink it, at least pick a contender that won’t make you regret every sip. These are pretty hit or miss, and depend on how you prepare them. They aren’t outstanding by any means, but they aren’t terrible either. If anything, instant coffee makes pretty decent iced coffee! Adding some cream, sugar and a drop of vanilla extract does wonders if you’re craving iced coffee and need a quick fix.

3. The good

None of these beat a cup of freshly brewed coffee, but it doesn’t get any better than these brands. Café Bustelo is a beloved staple of any Hispanic family, and Starbucks’ highest rated instant coffee brand is supposedly Colombian. They did well to stick with the countries that do it best. Café Bustelo goes especially well with condensed milk, which doubles as a cream and sugar. Many critics have said they can drink the Starbucks variety—gasp—plain! Regardless of the opinions of others, these brands might still make you gag, but if you’re going to give instant coffee a chance, these are your best bets. It’s amazing what you can do when you’re on a budget or a time crunch!

Nicole is a junior Film/TV major at Boston University. She's an Argentinean first generation student who made the leap from Miami to Boston for college. She has chosen writing as a career for reasons no one can explain, except maybe with theories of her masochistic tendencies. She dreams of being on a writing team for a sitcom and someday becoming a showrunner of her own original show.
Giana Grimaldi is the Integrated Marketing Director at Her Campus Media, overseeing client services and campaign execution for leading national brands across the company’s digital, experiential and community platforms. Prior to joining Her Campus Media, Giana assisted with the development and implementation of several PR campaigns in the energy, financial services and nonprofit sectors as an Account Coordinator on the Public Relations team at Rasky Partners. Giana attended Boston University, where she studied Communication with a concentration in Public Relations and was also a chapter president of Her Campus at BU. Giana loves all things music, social media, food, and reality TV. When she's not at work, you can find her at the gym, watching Netflix, making the perfect Spotify playlist, or spending hours scrolling through TikTok videos. Follow her on Instagram @_gianamaria.