The Impact of Wearing (and Not Wearing) Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I wear makeup the majority of weekdays and when I go out at night. I’m used to getting complimented by the employees at Sephora and finding strangers staring at my red smokey eyes or vampy lipstick. Most of the contact that I have with strangers begins with “I love your makeup!” So long story short makeup is a huge part of my identity. 

But sometimes I just want to sleep in extra late or I just don’t feel like ‘putting on my face’ as they say. I have noticed that I feel different and get different reactions and looks depending on whether or not I have makeup on.   

Wearing No Makeup: 

I used to feel uncomfortable and embarrassed to not wear makeup but as I’ve gotten older and more confident I don’t care as much. Of course I do still have insecurities like my under eye circles and the fact that I get really flushed when embarrassed. They just don’t bother me so much now. These days I think of makeup as an extra accessory and wear it so often because I feel like my look isn’t quite as cool without it- I wear it for fun, not necessity. That being said, there are some advantages (and annoyances) that come with wearing a bear face.  

1. More real connections 

People obviously look more natural without makeup and therefore more real. In my experience I have actually made more sincere connections with people when I don’t have makeup on, even if it was just the employee at the CVS checkout. People look me in the eyes more and I feel more human as opposed to my superhero made up self. 

2. Old people like you better 

Whenever I don’t have any makeup on and haven’t done my hair, my grandfather always says he likes the way I look. I think it makes me look both more old fashioned and younger. In some senses this could be a good thing?  

3. “You don’t need makeup”

My least favorite reaction to not wearing makeup is when people tell me “you skin looks great, you don’t need to wear makeup!” I know I don’t NEED makeup. I wear it for fun- it’s art! 

Wearing Makeup 

1. Creates talking point 

One of my favorite things about wearing makeup is that it always starts conversations. People ask me what lipstick I’m wearing or how I do my brows every day. I love to talk about makeup more than anything and just by wearing it, I find people who share my interest.  

2. Feeling more confident 

I feel more confident when I have a full face of makeup, not just because I am covering up what society deems imperfect, I also like to make a statement. I have the most confidence when I do a really dramatic look because I feel like I’m expressing my style and showing off my skills. 

3. Attracts jerks 

In my experience, one of the worst things about makeup is that it tends to draw the attention of the most annoying people. I think because me and other women wearing a full face of makeup look more like society’s ideal of beauty, we tend to get attention from people who either think they too are close to this ideal or think they deserve someone who is close to it. In other words- generally jerks who think they are God’s gift to the world.  

K C

BU '18

BU Contributor