person washing hands
person washing hands
Burst
Wellness > Health

As an Immunocompromised Student, Coronavirus Looks Different for Me Than Everyone Else

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s a scary time right now with the rapid spread of COVID-19 and the lack of information from government sources. University students are forced to move out of their residences with limited time, and k-12 students are missing weeks’ worth of school. There are hundreds of restrictions on travel and leisure activities. All of this to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. 

Despite a general understanding of the severity of the virus, not everyone follows the warnings to stay inside and avoid gathering in large groups. Many young people are told that they are at low risk for the virus and suddenly feel invincible. However, these people don’t consider those who are high risk and the way their decisions could affect a high-risk person. This is why we had #CoronaKatie and #HighRiskCovid19 trending simultaneously. 

People with similar mindsets as Corona Katie are the ones putting immunocompromised people at risk. Not everyone who contracts the virus will show symptoms, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t carrying the virus. And you can’t know whether you’re carrying the virus or not. By continuously gathering in large groups, you are continuing the spread of the virus and putting hundreds of thousands of people at risk. I’m one of those people.

Being immunocompromised as a young person during this pandemic has been a truly frustrating experience. Whenever I express fear or concern about my wellbeing, I’m told I’m panicking because I’m young and will be fine. But that’s not true. Hearing words like this and seeing people like Corona Katie makes me feel so invalidated and honestly like I don’t matter to society as a whole. There are so many people that ignore the lives of high-risk people unless they’re old. And this really needs to change. 

There are hundreds of thousands of immunocompromised people in the US. Preventing the spread of the coronavirus is an effort that needs to be taken by everyone.

After the trending thread of high-risk people begging others to take precautions seriously, I hope people really heed these warnings. Just because you’re going to be safe during this pandemic doesn’t mean you can put the lives of others at risk so you can enjoy a night out or a meal at a restaurant. Please, stay inside. Wash your hands. Stay safe!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

MyChalia is a freshman majoring in English Education in the Wheelock College of Education and Human Development at Boston University. She has a passion for education and social justice, as well as creating a loving and accepting community for all regardless of race, gender, sexual identity, etc. MyChalia also has a passion for reading and creative writing. She can be found lost in the isles of a Barnes n' Noble or chilling in a random Boston cafe drinking iced coffee.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.