The Lalastarbucks Coffee And Sunglasses
The Lalastarbucks Coffee And Sunglasses
Her Campus Media

I’m a Starbucks Barista and These Are the Best 2020 Holiday Drinks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We all know what time of year we are approaching: the holidays. You know this, I know this, your wallet knows this, your targeted advertisements know this, and even Starbucks knows this. On November 6th, Starbucks’s iconic green menu boards were replaced with bold red ones, traditional cups are replaced by decorative, holiday cups, and the stores are overwhelmed with new, elegantly decorated, seasonal merchandise. 

And, of course, there is the selection of Starbucks’s famous holiday beverages. With a wide variety of flavors, each cup is brimming with whipped cream, colorful sprinkles, and all the joy of the best time of the year. As a Starbucks barista myself, this is by far my favorite time of year to come into work. I love seeing how easily these holiday beverages bring people joy, and to celebrate the 2020 launch of these drinks, I have decided to rank them from my least to most favorite.

Eggnog Latte

This beverage is exactly what it sounds like: steamed eggnog mixed with shots of espresso and topped with nutmeg. The Eggnog Latte is the perfect twist on a traditional holiday drink, as it combines two things everyone loves: coffee and nostalgia for traditional holiday celebrations. While most popular as a hot beverage, it can also be served over ice or blended into a Frappuccino. As it turns out, eggnog pairs well with chai, and you can even order the Chai Eggnog Latte this holiday season.

Chestnut Praline Latte

Now, I realize I may get hate for only ranking this drink #4, as it is a fan favorite. However, I do this not out of dislike, but out of mere preference for the other beverages. The Chestnut Praline Latte encompasses the flavors of signature espresso intermingled with flavors of spices and caramelized chestnuts, topped with praline crumbs. This is the perfect choice if you are looking for a holiday beverage that is not too sweet while still having a very strong holiday feel.

Toasted White Chocolate Mocha

Flavors of warm, toasted white chocolate sauce and espresso welcome you home as you sip this beverage. If you are a fan of the regular white mocha, which is offered year-round, picture this as a less-sweet version decked out with red sugar sprinkles, carrying the merriness of the season directly to you.

Peppermint Mocha/Peppermint Hot Chocolate

Flavors of espresso, hot mocha sauce, and fresh peppermint are enjoyable in every form: hot, iced, or in a Frappuccino. This beverage has transformed into an iconic winter favorite, but what many Starbucks customers do not realize is that Peppermint Mochas/Peppermint Hot Chocolates are actually available all year round! Starbucks always carries peppermint syrup, so take this newfound knowledge and sip on this cup of holiday joy all year round.

Caramel Brulée Latte

Imagine this: the sensations of holiday warmth welcome you through flavors of rich caramel sauce mixed with milk and espresso shots. The topping of whipped cream dashed with caramel candy is the perfect addition to this already perfect drink. The magical taste of this beverage brings me all of the feelings associated with the holidays: happiness, togetherness, comfort, joyfulness, and the feeling in the air that allows us to believe in miracles and all possibilities.

This year, we need to seize all of the holiday joy we can get. 2020 presents us with a holiday season like no other, but these holiday beverages can bring us some sense of normalcy and a window into the vibrancy of colorful lights and carols echoing from the streets that are coming our way in the coming weeks.

You can find me at Questrom Starbucks, making these drinks and wishing you all the wonder of the holiday season. Or, you can find these drinks at the other on-campus Starbucks’s (where you can use your dining points for the beverages and the merchandise), or at any local Starbucks near you.

Use these drinks to make the best of your season and to bring you all of the merriness you deserve. Starbucks (and I) wish you the most wonderful weeks leading up to the holidays and hope that you find everything you’re looking for—whether that be in a mall, a coffee beverage, or right in front of you with your loved ones.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Ava is a pre-law senior at Boston University studying English with a minor in history. She loves traveling, drinking excessive amounts of hot chocolate, creative writing, and skydiving. You can find her on instagram @avazing !
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.