books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

If You Like These Five Movies, Try These Five Books!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I am an admittedly picky book lover. I love to read, but I hate wasting my time on books that I won’t enjoy. This means I spend probably too much time searching for the perfect book, wishing I had a way to tell if I would like it before I read it. So I’ve compiled a list of my books based on my favorite movies as a way to recommend my favorite books. If you like these movies, look no further, I think you’ll really enjoy these books.

If you liked A Star Is Born, then you should read Daisy Jones and The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

You can get this novel here!

Fans of A Star is Born will fall in love with Daisy Jones and the Six, the novel based on a fictional 1970s rock band and an oral history of their rise to fame, stardom, and eventual breakup. Both A Star is Born and Daisy Jones and the Six follow young hopefuls in the music industry and handle the subject of mental health and addiction in a realistic and impactful way. These two heart-wrenching stories will likely cause you to shed a few tears while falling in love with the characters and music. I was a little apprehensive going into Daisy Jones and the Six, as I have never cared for 70s rock, but I can honestly say that by the end of this book, you’ll be listening to every rock song you can find, wishing Daisy Jones and the Six was a real band.

If you liked The Prince and Me, then you should read Red, White, and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

You can get this novel here!

If you love the royal rom-com following a normal college girl that falls in love with the Prince of Denmark (because who doesn’t love a Julia Stiles movie), then let me tell you, Red, White, and Royal Blue is for you. This novel follows a fictitious female president’s son as he falls in love with the Prince of England. This book is loaded with diversity and depicts a struggle of overcoming adversity from the family members and the public at large.

If You Liked The Chronicles of Narnia, You Should Read Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire

You can get this novel here!

Seanan McGuire’s Every Heart a Doorway often gets described as the “Narnia for Adults”. The whimsical novel follows a cast of children after they come back to reality from their own magical worlds. Each character takes their own hidden door to a magical place far away—sound familiar? However, don’t be fooled by this short, playful novella, it tackles a variety of darker topics while still maintaining its magical atmosphere. 

If you liked Love Simon, then you should read Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saen

You can get this novel here!

Love, Simon is based on the acclaimed book Simon vs. the Homosapien Agenda by Becky Albertalli (an amazing book that you should definitely check out BTW),  about the coming out story of Simon as he struggles to come to terms with his sexuality in high school. Fans of Love, Simon will adore  Benjamin Alrie Sanz’s Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. The novel follows two Mexican-American teenagers in the early 1980s as they discover their identities and navigate their relationships. Both of these heartwarming stories have strong familial influences, which is rare for many narratives centered around young characters. This feel-good book is perfect for any fan of Love, Simon. (P.S. the audiobook for this story is narrated by Lin Manuel Miranda and is fantastic!)   

If you liked 10 Things I Hate About You, then you should read The Hating Game by Sally Thorne

You can get this novel here!

Because I am apparently obsessed with Julia Stiles movies, 10 Things I Hate About You hits me in the feels every time and The Hating Game by Sally Thorne gave me that same heartwarming feeling. This hate-to-love office rom-com tugged at my heartstrings and has that same tension that’s also in 10 Things I Hate About You. If you’re looking for a quick and witty rom-com to fly through, pick this one up (or just wait for the movie)!

I hope you’ll try some of these books out when you’re looking for your next favorite read!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hello, I'm Maura! I'm a pre-med junior at Boston University who obsessively reads romance books and watches The Bachelor. Somehow, I turned my her campus articles into my own personal book blog, so I hope you enjoy the bookish content! Let's be friends on goodreads! https://www.goodreads.com/mauradelaney
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.