The Ideal Winter Playlist to Keep You Warm on a Cold Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

In the throes of winter, it’s hard to find ways to stay positive and motivated to leave the comfort of the indoors. You shiver at the thought of leaving your dorm when you know that a series of wind gusts, icy sidewalks, and surprise rain showers await outside. At this point, I check the weather app on my phone just for kicks, because I already know that it’s going to be either A) a series of single-digit numbers that are allegedly real temperature values or B) a forecast so unpredictable that it’s more of a guessing game than anything else.

Credit: Around the World “L”

Layering with sweaters, mittens, beanies, etc. may warm your body, but what about your soul? I don’t mean to get too metaphysical here, but all I mean is that this time of year can put a real damper on your mood and your overall mindset. Fortunately, there is a very simple solution to the winter blues: music. I find that listening to songs that make me happy or remind me of warmer times always helps me remember that there is sunshine at the end of the tunnel.

Credit: Boston Magazine

I’ve put together a short playlist that should be able to give you all the warm and fuzzies. It starts off with HONNE feat. Aminé’s “Warm on a Cold Night,” which I named the playlist after for obvious reasons. It also features Frank Ocean, Rex Orange County, and Kehlani, whose voices are pure sunbeams. Of course, I had to include Dean Martin’s “Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!” even though Christmas was almost two months ago. I also recently discovered a deep track from The Mamas and The Papas called, “Snowqueen of Texas,” so for those of you who appreciate old school tunes, this one’s for you.

This playlist is a bit of a genre melting pot, from oldies to neo-soul to alt-indie, but that also means that there’s something for everyone. Now, go put on some fuzzy socks, and let the music whisk you away to summertime as the snow falls outside your window.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Emma is a senior at BU studying Journalism and Gender and Women's Studies in the College of Communications. She's originally from sunny Los Angeles, California. She is an avid fan of local bakeries and making oddly specific Spotify playlists.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.