I Wrote a Letter to My Conservative Grandmother about Women’s Rights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

When Trump got elected, there were questions brewing about how to treat those with different opinions. For many people, this meant questioning familial bonds. For me, my grandmother never explicitly looked me in the eyes and told me she loved Trump. However, with my growing interest in politics, I realized how we differ on mainly every political topic like abortion, religion, immigration, diversity, sexual harassment, and women’s rights. 

Now don’t get me wrong, my grandma is kind of a badass in my eyes. She was one of very few women in her graduating class and graduated Harvard Law only a few years after Ruth Bader Ginsburg was there. She moved all the way from France, on a long boat ride, to become a successful lawyer with very limited contact with her family.  She then became the second woman hired by her law firm, White & Case, before moving back to France. So yes, one would assume my grandma to be at the forefront of the women’s rights movement; yet, this is not the case.

Vlad Tchompalov
Vlad Tchompalov / Unsplash
Every year I attend the Women’s March. It’s my favorite event, filled with inspiring women infuriated with the actions of our current White House. My mom sends photos to my grandma every year, yet one year we got an unusual disapproving response. My grandma emailed her and implied there was no reason to march or complain. Women’s rights, in her eyes, were no longer relevant. When my mom explained the response to me, I said I’d take care of it. This meaning, writing 1,000 words to my grandma about why she was wrong in an effort to create conversation instead of avoiding every subject. Casual granddaughter things. 

Love letter with flowers
Pezibear on Pixabay
This is what I wrote (in 2018): 

Dear Grandma, 

I read your emails to mom and felt the need to respond immediately. I wanted to explain to you, in detail, why mom and I marched yesterday. Before I continue, it should be clarified that we marched at 11 a.m. This was the march not directed by the women’s march organization (the one facing an anti-Semitism scandal). This was to show that we were not in support of anti-Semitism, as you already must know. The following are some of the reasons we marched as there are many more. 

1. Ending violence against women. The UN states that national studies find that up to 70% of women experience sexual violence and harassment in their lifetime. Additionally, many never claim justice for their cases and must deal with loads of emotional and physical trauma. This fact hasn’t changed for years and the Trump administration has taken no precautions or measures to decrease this statistic. 

2. Workplace treatment and pay equity. Even if you feel there are enough women in the workplace, I respectfully disagree. Many fields today are male-dominated, not for reasons of talent, opportunity, and fit, but for reasons of gender discrimination (this was what RBG fought against). The Civil Rights Act of 1964 granted that discrimination (on the basis of gender) in the workplace was illegal. However, there are still endless reports of women not being able to condemn their workplaces for clear examples of gender discrimination. I should not ever have to be disadvantaged in my future workplace because I’m a woman, yet statistics point to the fact that I have a 42% chance of experiencing workplace harassment and discrimination (Men only have a 22% chance). In addition, 1 in 4 women state they have earned less than a man for the same job (1 in 20 men say the same). Equal pay has been a long fight for women’s rights and the battle has yet to be over. If I’m working the same job as a man I deserve the same amount of pay he’s earning no question. To contextualize, here’s an undergoing example: the US women’s soccer team is the best in the world (they have won the world cup multiple times). The men’s US team is rated to be one of the worst (they didn’t even qualify for the world cup). Taking into account this information, why does it make sense for the women’s team to only make 40% of what the men’s team does. Examples like these infect our country and the world.

3. Education. Women around the world face a lack of education. Whether their country doesn’t allow it, their cultures state they must get married by the age of 11, or they simply can’t afford it, many women are illiterate and unable to find employment. Shockingly, many countries with low GDP’s (Growth Domestic Product), could increase their percentages simply by sending their women to school. Everyone deserves the right to reach their fullest educational potential and the right to be their own person. It is a human right. Women are denied that right every day in a multitude of countries simply because they are female. This keeps them at a lower status and privilege level than men and keeps their representation low in positions of power. 

4. Reproductive Rights. Something I believe in strongly is the right to choose. I know you don’t agree and I am not here to change your mind. I also know the Catholic religion does not support me when I say I am pro-choice. Women across the country experience the need to abort. Regardless of whether or not you agree with abortion, the right to decide is the woman’s right. The current administration hopes to take that right away from us simply for religious reasons and the right to preserve life. However, both these statements are politically unjust. The US constitution deems separation of church and state, meaning no amendment or law can be created on the grounds of religion. Secondly, the right to preserve life can be easily disproved. The reason abortion was made legal was to ensure women would end resorting to dangerous ways of ending their pregnancies, as many died doing so. A common misconception is that by ending legal abortions they will stop. This is simply not correct. They will continue happening since women have no choice, yet this time, dangerously and outside the realms of medical attention. Therefore, to preserve life, abortions must remain legal. In addition to abortion, some women lack access to birth control and sexual education. These must be enforced to ensure the safety of women worldwide when it comes to sexual relations. 

Grandma, there are so many more reasons why I marched (LGBTQ rights, racial equality, immigration rights, etc). Overall, it was my dissatisfaction with our current administration. As a woman, it is incredibly demeaning to see the president of the United States, the leader of a country representing freedom and equality, treat you as less than simply for your gender. The times of RBG are not over. She started and catalyzed a movement and I’m here to continue it. You don’t have to agree with mom and me, but as a fellow woman, I hope you understand the importance and resonance the march had on us. I love you and miss you very much no matter what you believe. 

Love, 

Léa

PS. I wrote in English because that’s how I learned most of the terminology. (My grandma is French)

This letter was my proof that you can converse with people you disagree with and love them regardless. My grandma responded with a very short thank you for sharing type note and an “I love you.” I will never agree with my grandma’s views, but I’m proud I got to show her mine in a respectful way. The best way to deal with our tension-filled times is through professional and logical dialogue.

If we can’t communicate why even bother fighting for the things we care about? Remember to write long letters to your family members when you’re upset. I’m sure they’ll love it.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Léa is a sophomore from Paris, France, and Princeton, NJ majoring in International Relations with a minor in journalism. Also serving as the Co-President of BU's French Club and as a senior editor for IR Review, Léa loves writing about current events, global politics, and social justice.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.