This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The holiday season is here and with it some brand new Christmas movies! In the spirit of the holidays, I decided to watch some of the most popular new holiday movies of 2020. Since these are all relatively new, I’ll try not to spoil too much.

Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey (Netflix)

I LOVED this movie, even more than I thought I would if I’m being honest. I’ve mentioned this movie in a previous article, and now finally having watched it, I can say that it did not disappoint. Even if you aren’t into musicals, definitely give it a try.

Happiest Season (Hulu)

When I first heard about this movie, I was very excited. I’d never seen an LGBT holiday movie, so I was thrilled about the representation (FINALLY!). After I watched it though, I was a little bit disappointed. In all honesty, this movie made me kind of angry. How did Harper’s father suddenly get rid of his homophobia overnight? Why did Abby allow herself to be mistreated by both her girlfriend and her girlfriend’s family pretty much the entire movie? That being said, if you look past all of the discrepancies, it’s still a pretty good movie worth a watch.

Dolly Parton’s Christmas on the Square (Netflix)

I love Dolly Parton, but I could not finish this movie. Although I generally don’t care for musicals, there are some exceptions—this wasn’t one of them. I tried to stick it out, but it was just way too much singing for me, and the plot wasn’t impressive enough for me to finish it. It’s a classic Scrooge story, except made into a musical. However, if you’re a major Dolly Parton fan and a musical lover, this is probably the Christmas movie for you.

Noelle (Disney+)

Okay, so this movie isn’t that new: Disney released it on Disney+ last year. But I finally got around to watching the movie, and I must say, it’s really good! I didn’t have any expectations about the film going in because I forgot all about it until Disney+ released their holiday section. However, if I did have any, then it met them. A super fun movie and I appreciate the gender role reversal.

Operation Christmas Drop (Netflix)

This movie is a little bit lesser-known but up to snuff nonetheless. It was adorable; the romance wasn’t too much or too cheesy, and I liked that it mainly focused on the story’s philanthropy aspect. It kind of gave me the feel of a Hallmark movie, except better and more memorable. One of the coolest things about this movie is that it was inspired by a real military airdrop mission of the same name. “Operation Christmas Drop” is one of the US Department of Defense’s longest-running humanitarian airdrop missions, and they drop supplies to islanders in Micronesia. Starring Alexander Ludwig (The Hunger Games) and Kat Graham (The Vampire Diaries), this movie is the wholesome holiday rom-com you need this Christmas.

Hopefully, you find the time to watch some of these movies this December. Happy Holidays!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Cameryn Richardson is a sophomore at BU, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Women's, Gender, & Sexuality Studies. Outside of writing for HCBU, she is an international peer mentor, involved in Art Club, and loves to find new restaurants and coffee shops to visit. Find her on Instagram @cvmrich!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.