Style

I Used to Hate Masks, Now I See Them as a Symbol of Hope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If I had seen someone wearing a mask a year ago, it would be noticeably unusual to me. I definitely never would’ve imagined that one day I wouldn’t be able to leave my home without one.

COVID-19 has changed and infiltrated every sector of our culture and society. From how we socially interact, to how we utilize technology, to how we view politics, evaluate friendships, and exist in our day to day lives. The pandemic has even managed to alter the way we dress, as masks are becoming less of a liability and more of a fashion statement.

Masks have proven to be vital in stifling the spread of COVID-19, making them a highly important and valuable tool in battling the pandemic, as well as something simple we can all do to make a large difference in terms of decreasing the rate and severity of the infection.

However, in all honesty, wearing them on a regular basis took some serious getting used to for me personally. I was willing in a heartbeat to do my part, yet I cannot deny that at the beginning of the pandemic, wearing a mask made me feel constrained, hidden, and isolated.

stuck indoors wearing mask by Pexels
Photo by Nandhu Kumar from Pexels
For me, it wasn’t only that masks felt physically uncomfortable, but I also felt like masks (and the pandemic) stole something that was part of our identity as humans. They took away our ability to express ourselves beyond words—with a smirk, a smile, a stolen kiss. Masks seemed to be just another metaphor for all the life we were being deprived of due to the pandemic. But I knew that wearing a mask could save a life, which made any discomfort worth it. With reluctance, I slowly grew accustomed to wearing a cloth that hid my face—staring simply at two eyes in the mirror. Eyes are the mirror to the soul anyway, right?

With time, as masks have grown to populate the streets, there has been a change in how we perceive these pieces of fabric. They’re no longer a liability, but rather, a fashion statement. Just the other day as my friend ran out the door to attend an outdoor dining event, she grabbed a cheetah mask off our key rack—perfectly complementing her already fashionable look with one last bit of glam.

Clothing companies have all started manufacturing masks. From American Eagle to Garage to Chanel to Gucci, you can find a fashionable mask anywhere at any price. Improved logistical design of masks has made them softer, breathable, and overall much more comfortable to wear. Masks also do a pretty good job of hiding that blemish without any need for foundation or cover-up.

“I feel like masks have actually really added to my outfits rather than taken away from them,” said Boston University student Kayla Lozzi. “They let me show my style the same way a bag or other kind of accessory might.”

There are also so many different ways to wear masks, so many different materials and patterns to choose from, and so many price ranges. Masks, like hats, bags, scarves, and jewelry, are morphing into their own form of a fashion statement and bold accessory; making outfits go from bland to bold in a heartbeat. They are no longer a burden but can be seen as a form of self-expression.

forget-me-nots coming out of a mask
Photo by United Nations COVID-19 Response from Unsplash
“I feel like masks have come, in a way, to represent my sense of individuality,” said Boston University sophomore Serenity Cray. “Depending on whether I’m wearing a more fun, patterned mask, or even just a plain, black one, the masks I chose to wear reflect my mood, personality, and unique style.”

As more people wear masks to stop the spread of COVID-19, masks are also becoming part of the status quo. Now, it’s strange to not be wearing a mask on a crowded street. In a mere few months, masks have gone from symbolizing the pandemic’s restrictions to becoming a metaphor for hope. Masks have allowed us to return to life, and although things are not the way that they used to be, masks empower us to walk the streets once more, spend time with people we love safely, and display that we care about the wellbeing and health of not only ourselves but also those around us.

I selfishly used to view masks as a hindrance to my life. I would wear one with reluctance, knowing it was right, but desiring to feel a cold breeze on my face; yearning to be free to smile at a stranger on the street. Yet, as the pandemic rages on, I have seen masks in a new light. They are powerful because they enable us to live once again, safely. They allow us to express ourselves in new and unique ways with creativity and flair. And they put less value on how we look and more what we have to say as individuals.

Masks have become a symbol of hope, self-expression, and selflessness––and I would argue that all of that is sexy, fashionable, and very on-trend.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Autumn is a junior studying film/television & journalism at Boston University. She is extremely passionate about writing & film, traveling, her family and friends, and telling stories.