I Tried Kindle Unlimited—Is It Worth the Money?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With all the monthly subscription services out there, it can be tough to justify paying another fee. So many people are already paying for services for music and TV, so why would they add a reading service? This is definitely not a subscription service for people just looking to get into reading. However, avid book lovers should put Kindle Unlimited on their radar.

Anna Schultz-Girl Using Ipad In Bed
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

In order for Kindle Unlimited to be worth the money, you should be reading around four books per month on this service. That definitely seems like a lot, and it can be, but a big part of deciding whether or not this service will be worth it depends on the reader. There is a very large variety of books—typically independently-published—so there is something for everyone (traditionally-published novels are not usually very popular among readers).

person holding iphone outside
Photo by Paul Hanaoka from Unsplash

I have found some of my favorite books on this subscription service—I absolutely love Top Secret by Elle Kennedy and Sarina Bowen, Vicious by L.J. Shen, and Punk 57 by Penelope Douglas. I probably would not have read these books if I did not purchase this subscription service because these books are not traditionally-published. Most of the books offered on Kindle Unlimited are ones that you cannot buy at Barnes & Noble or other local bookstores, so it’s a great way to find new reads.

Kindle Unlimited also has many deals to purchase the service at a lower price. I would recommend jumping on these deals to give the service a try—why not? Additionally, Kindle Unlimited is a service that is not for everyone (even the most passionate readers), so I’d suggest a trial period.

Long story short, I’ve found a number of my favorite books on Kindle Unlimited, so I’d say it’s worth the price. However, you have to make sure you’re reading enough books in order to get your money’s worth.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook​, follow us on I​nstagram,​ check out our ​Pinterest​ board, and read our latest Tweets​!

Hello, I'm Maura! I'm a pre-med junior at Boston University who obsessively reads romance books and watches The Bachelor. Somehow, I turned my her campus articles into my own personal book blog, so I hope you enjoy the bookish content! Let's be friends on goodreads! https://www.goodreads.com/mauradelaney
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.