I Tried Ariana Grande & Starbucks’ Caramel Cloud Macchiato So You Didn’t Have To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you haven’t heard enough of Ariana Grande, recently, she collaborated with Starbucks to release a new drink for all her caffeinated (and non-caffeinated) fans. Starbucks teased the drink on their Instagram with ASMR-like videos of cutting squishy material in the shape of clouds. Ariana tweeted at Starbucks the day before with cloud emojis as well.

☁☁☁

A post shared by Starbucks Coffee ☕ (@starbucks) on

View this post on Instagram

☁☁☁☁ ?

As a daily drinker of caramel macchiatos, I knew this drink was right up my alley. This drink is built with espresso at the bottom, a layer of airy whipped cold foam, topped with delicious caramel drizzle. The cloud macchiato also comes in a cinnamon version infused with lemon syrup. However, the drinks do contain egg white powder in the foam, so, unfortunately, it’s not vegan-friendly. Both drinks are available either iced or hot.

I waited in line at the busy GSU Starbucks and finally got my drink after 10 minutes or so of waiting. Here’s what it looked like:

Caption: They finally spelled my name right!

I got a grande (of course) Caramel Cloud Macchiato. It’s certainly aesthetically pleasing. It’s a wonderful cascade of gradient from the white fluffy cloud foam that seeps into dark espresso at the bottom. I would advise to not leave it untouched for too long, as the cloud foam will inevitably melt. As far as the taste goes, it’s not as satisfying as a regular caramel macchiato. The cloud foam takes up most of the volume of the cup so there is not much espresso as it seems. It is, however, pretty sweet! Perhaps a little eggy from the egg white powder, but nothing a little extra caramel can’t fix.

I asked my friend Anchita Khurana (QST’22), who also tried the drink, about her thoughts. She said “It’s cute, but I probably won’t get again. It’s watery and sweet.” While I disagree that it’s watery, I probably won’t be purchasing this drink again. I’ll stick to my regular order of a grande iced blonde caramel macchiato with extra caramel and non-fat milk, please.

Summary Taste: 6/10

Presentation: 9/10

Sweetness: 7/10

Caffeinated-ness: 7/10

Fluffiness:10/10

But anyways, I still stan you Ari!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Niya Doyle is a sophomore at Boston University studying Public Relations and minoring in International Relations. Her hobbies include advocating for civic engagement among young people, writing poetry, and waiting for the new Animal Crossing game to come out.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.