Girl In Iu Hoosiers Shirt With Dog
Girl In Iu Hoosiers Shirt With Dog
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

I Miss My Dog—How to Deal with Missing Your Pets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I miss my dog. A lot. And I’m sure a lot of people reading this do too. It’s a really hard thing to grapple with because it’s not something that you’d expect to affect you so much. But here we are, just wanting to hug our dogs. Here are the best tips I learned during my time here at college that have helped me overcome missing my Piper! 

Get stuffed animals!

It may seem childish to have stuffed animals covering your college bed, but I swear they really do help. I have a handful of bigger ones that I brought with me this year. When you really need that dog hug, having something that is soft or reminds you of that pet is so, so important. 

My favorite stuffed animals are Squishmallows! They are seriously so soft and huggable. I may be addicted to them, but who’s to judge? They come in a bunch of different sizes, but of course I say the bigger the better.

A body pillow!

I don’t know about you, but cuddling with my dog was the best thing in the world. If you have a dog, you know that when they climb onto your bed, all is right in the world. A body pillow may not have come into the room just for you, but it’s really nice to have something to hug at night.

Have your family give you updates!

At first, I felt really weird asking my mom to tell me how Piper was doing, as if there were any updates Piper had for me. Of course, there aren’t, but just being told that she is happy and healthy and that she paws on my door daily really made me feel better.

See your pup on FaceTime!

I don’t think dogs really understand the concept of video chat, but seeing them live makes all the difference. Even if they just perk their ears up for a second at the sound of your voice, for me that can make my day.

Pet dogs!

Obviously, this tip is not as accessible in the world of coronavirus. However, it will pass soon enough. When walking down the street, it’s super nice to ask random people if you can pet their dogs. A lot of people are up to the idea, just make sure you ask! My dog isn’t the best with people, so when strangers tried to pet her I had to give them a fair warning.

Even in the time of COVID-19, some owners may be comfortable with a quick pet. So, ask and sanitize before and after. Having a quick second with a dog is a lovely way to feel better about missing yours.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.