Style > Beauty

How To Use Makeup For Girls Who Don’t Use Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I have never really been a huge fan of makeup. This is not because I don’t like the way it looks. I love the way makeup looks and I’m a sucker for a good smokey-eye. The truth is I am simply very lazy. My sister has tried time and again to teach me how to use makeup. She is a wizard when it comes to makeup, at least compared to me. As she puts on eye shadow, I flinch, and then when it comes time for eyeliner is usually when I quit. Having said all that, I started wearing mascara during my freshman year of high school. According to my sister, I put on so little you can hardly tell it’s there, but to me, it makes a world of difference. This year is the first year I have slowly started wearing a little more makeup.

This summer Glossier had a pop-up store in Seaport. I had been using their Lash Stick for sometime, as it was a birthday gift from (guess who) my sister.

Photo credit: Glossier 

It is one of my favorite mascaras, so naturally, I was interested in seeing what other products they had. I am a huge fan of looking natural, which I think Glossier products do a good job with. Rather than changing your look, I feel as though Glossier enhances it. When I first walked into the pop-up store, I was greeted by a man in a bright pink jumpsuit. I explained to him how the only makeup product I have ever known was mascara. He was very understanding and led me over to Haloscope which is a type of highlighter.

Photo credit: Glossier 

Since I had no idea what highlighter was, he showed me how to apply it at an angle on my cheeks. There is probably a better description for the application, but again I’m still learning how makeup works. He recommended the topaz shade for a tanning effect. It truly makes your skin glow. It is a very subtle sparkle. Then he showed me something magical… Boy Brow.

Photo credit: Glossier 

Boy Brow is one of my favorite products ever. It is a little comb that paints your eyebrows to make your eyebrows look super thick and shapely. Then he introduced me to Lidstar.

Photo credit: Glossier 

Lidstar is Glossier’s version of eyeshadow. I have personally struggled to apply eyeshadow to the point where I stopped trying. Lidstar looks like lipgloss; it has the same brush, so you essentially just paint on the color onto your eyelids. It is the easiest thing!

After discovering all those products, I was a little overwhelmed and decided to stop there. Recently, however, I have discovered concealer! I use NARS to cover the bags under my eyes. It honestly is a life changer.

Photo credit: NARS 

Even though I love putting on all these products, during the week I only wear mascara. I feel like it makes my weekend makeup routine more exciting. Having been a girl who dreaded doing makeup, these products have made me enjoy adding it to my going-out routine!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Carly Newell is a sophomore at BU. She is a huge foodie and loves exploring the city to find restaurants & coffee shops. She also loves cookies & romantic comedies.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.