How to Survive Allston in Heels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Okay, so you just splurged on a gorgeous new pair of five-inch, hot pink pumps. We’ve all done it. They make your legs look killer, and as corny as it sounds, they really do make you feel more confident. and you can’t wait to wear them out to your next party. The problem, though, is that they start to kill your feet after about fifteen minutes. Well, I’m here to give you some quick and easy tips to make your high heel experience just a little more bearable.

1. Find the Right Size

This seems obvious, but it’s extremely important. So many times I’ll walk into a store and see an unnecessary pair of heels that I’m in love with, but the only size left is a 7 or a 6 and a half. Being a size 6, I always think, I can totally make these work, they’re only a half size too big. Wrong. They don’t work. My feet slide all over the place, and it’s almost impossible to walk a distance further than 100 yards. And if you’re gonna be walking in Allston, you need some heels that’ll last you longer than that. Plus, according to Imogen Fox, a writer for The Guardian, going up a size “forces the toes to grip the shoe harder. Gravity inevitably pushes the foot forward when heels are high…” So, ladies, please find a shoe that fits you just right!

2. Wedges

Wedges are an awesome alternative to six inch pumps, especially when you have to walk a somewhat far distance. They’re (more) comfortable, less painful, and still make your legs look amazing. On some nights when I’m dreading the idea of walking from East Campus to Allston in heels, I’ll pull out a pair of strappy wedges and my feet are instantly relieved of last night’s six-inch torture.

3. Straps

If you have your heart set on wearing pumps this weekend (like I usually do), I have just a slight alternative for you. Find a pair that has an ankle strap. They hold your feet in place, ensuring a slip-free night. You could also try a pump with a thicker heel. It’s seriously surprising how much easier walking is when the heel is just the tiniest bit thicker.

4. Padding

Footpetals.com has tons of different types of pads and cushions that will work best for whichever heels you decide to wear. You can purchase “tip toes,” which are cushions for the balls of your feet, or you can go with “heavenly heelz,” which help cushion the back of your feet. There are even attachments for the bottom of your shoe to help you brave slippery surfaces. If those don’t work for you, browse the site a little more – you won’t believe how many awesome products they have to help your feet brave the city.

5. Foldable Flats  

This is my last resort suggestion, but probably the most important one. Foldable flats, which you can buy on Amazon for just $15 (search Sidekick Foldable Flats), easily fit into a clutch or a small cross-body bag. You just roll ‘em up and throw ‘em in your bag, and you’re good to go. The Sidekick flats on Amazon even come with a tiny matching clutch that you can throw them in. Everybody loves the comfort of flats, and this way, you can wear them all the way to Allston, and then change into your pumps when you arrive at the party!

I hope these tips help the next time you splurge on a crazy pair of high heels. And remember, size and comfort is more important than what the pump looks like–no one wants to see you hunching over in pain from your six inch heels!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.