How To Stick To Your New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

New Year’s Resolutions can often be slightly overwhelming. People often set goals for themselves for the New Year, but have trouble sticking to them—let alone achieving them. Here is a list of ways that you can achieve your New Year’s Resolutions without feeling overwhelmed!

1. Don’t set unrealistic goals for yourself.

I cannot stress this tip enough. If your goals are super unrealistic, there is a very little chance of you making much progress. For instance, if your New Year’s Resolution is to go to the gym every day, but you haven’t gone to the gym in several years, the likelihood of you following through with this goal is low. Set your goal to something more manageable—like going to the gym a few times a week—and something that won’t make you want to quit right away.

2. Be positive.

It’s really hard to achieve anything in life without being positive. You have to be your number one cheerleader. Even when it gets hard, you have to keep pushing yourself.

3. Discipline. 

Be a little tough on yourself to achieve your resolutions! Don’t let yourself skip days or have a bunch of cheat days, because those days will eventually catch up to you and you might even end up forgetting your goals.

4. Set reminders.

A helpful tip for achieving your goals is to write them down. This is a way for you to reflect on yourself and what you want to accomplish. I suggest writing them down in a journal or writing them on sticky notes and posting them around your room or even in your bathroom. Post your resolutions anywhere that you will always see them.

5. Don’t quit. 

There will be times where achieving your goal will be extremely difficult. You might even want to give up. But you will feel a lot better about yourself and your abilities if you stick to your resolutions and your end goals.  

But the most important resolution is to…start now!

Don’t wait for a new year to start your goals, start now. If you’re really passionate about something or you want to better improve yourself don’t wait, just start. Happy new year!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Sophia loves everything bagels with cream cheese
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.