How to Stay Sane this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Summer is quickly approaching, which for many of us means that we have about 3 months of no worries to look forward to besides catching up on sleep, doing summer-y things, and earning some cash to make up for those all-too-frequent Starbucks runs. But if you have thought about it like I have, being stuck at home for that long after so many months at school seems less than ideal. Here are some ways to prevent the impending insanity:

1. Make a bucket list and actually stick to it! Every summer my friends and I will think of an amazing bucket list, and will be all excited to cross things off said list, only to complete maybe two. I am sure many of you have been in the same situation, and it is about time these lists become more than just ideas. Get together with friends from home and make a doable bucket list, where you all try to complete one thing a week. This guarantees a fun, exciting, and sane summer.
  2. Before you start running off with friends, make sure you spend some quality time with your family too! The hardest part about being home is certainly living under your parent’s roof (and rules) again. At college, it is only you and your independence, so this transition is probably going to be a little frustrating at first. Just try to balance your time between your family and doing your own thing because they have really missed you and no matter how hard you try you can’t deny you have missed them too.
  3. Go on road trips! One of my favorite things about summer is driving around with friends, blasting music, and seeing where we end up. Road trips can be expensive with the cost of gas, but you don’t even have to go that far. Drive to a beach you have never been to before or try some fun day trip locations for shopping and going out to lunch. You never know what cool places you can come across, either close or far away, until you hop into your car. 
  4. Visit friends from school! At school, you see your friends practically everyday, but over the summer you might not see them at all. I always thought it would be so weird but awesome to visit your friends from school at home or to have them visit you. This is also a great way to travel and see knew places, but on a budget. Plus, you can get away from home for a little bit.
  5. Make some money! Like I said before, all those Starbucks runs add up – you will probably need to get a summer job. Summer jobs can actually be fun (despite some of the horror stories) and you can’t complain about having some extra cash in your pocket. But do try to save it for the coming school year.
  6. Summer is a great time to pick up a new hobby! We are going to have a whole 3 months, which seems like the perfect time to learn something new that you have always wanted to try. Maybe you could pick up cooking to impress your friends back at school or surfing to be in the summer spirit. For me, I have always wanted to learn how to play the guitar, and this summer with the extra time, hopefully I can learn a song or two. 
  7. Lastly, you can set some goals to reach by the end of the summer! With all the free time away from the stress of school, you can finally focus on all the things you may have pushed aside before. I’m thinking along the lines of finally getting in shape because all the stress eating from finals completely destroyed all your efforts before or cleaning out your room at home so you can live clutter-free. 

Even though while at home you may feel like you are on the brink of insanity, try to appreciate that it’s summer after all! And don’t forget to have fun!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.