Wellness > Mental Health

How to Stay Motivated When All of Your Classes Are Online

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As we enter our second fully-remote semester, motivations to log on to Zoom might be lower than ever. If you are on campus at all right now, you are probably taking the majority of your classes online. Here are some ways to stay inspired if all or most of your classes are on Zoom. 

Take Some Time for Yourself 

With lectures, study sessions, lab groups, club meetings, and everything in between, it can be hard to find time for yourself. But self-care is always worth it! Setting aside as little as twenty minutes every day for something that you enjoy can make a big difference in your mental health and in decreasing burnout. Not sure what to do to de-stress? Maybe try listening to your favorite Spotify playlist, painting, watching a tv show you love, or meditating (pro tip: the Headspace app is free for all BU students!). 

Reach Out for Help When You Need It 

It isn’t always easy to ask for help, but it is never something to be ashamed of. Most professors have office hours where you can ask questions and get to know them. There are also resources on campus for tutors and academic clubs. Making a study group (online or in person) can also be helpful and supportive.

Get Outside 

When you attend classes from your laptop, it can be very tempting to never leave your room. I often find myself spending all day sitting in class in my dorm, doing homework from my bed, and never really venturing out. I find that this makes me feel tired and unproductive very quickly. It can be really helpful to go outside. It always makes a big difference, even if it’s just a ten-minute walk down the street to pick up some food or take a COVID test. I also love sitting at the COM lawn or on the beach to do homework when the weather is nice. In the winter, you can even find some friends for the best cold-weather social distance activity: a snowball fight! 

Know That You Are Not Alone 

The biggest thing that helps me stay motivated these days is the knowledge that we are all in this together. Everyone is just trying to do their best. It’s also important to remember that this situation is temporary. We’ll be back in classrooms with friends in no time. I’ll be glad when I never have to open Zoom again, but until then, let’s try to make the most of this semester! Connecting with friends, even if it’s just tagging each other in funny Instagram posts, can make social distancing feel a little closer. 

I hope that these tips help you get the most out of your classes this spring!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hi! I'm Martha, and I'm a psychology major from New Jersey. I love reading, writing, listening to music, eating ice cream, and meeting new people!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.