How to Stay Fashionable When You Haven’t Gone Shopping in Months

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Broke college kid? Making minimum wage at your job? School consuming your life so much you don’t have enough time for a job? Whatever your reasoning for lack of funding or time to go shopping may be, you’re not alone. It’s a daily struggle to get ready for class or work on time when you hate everything in your closet because you’ve worn each item approximately 500 times.

When your clothes start to look old or fall flat in all the wrong ways on you, it’s easy to feel as worn out as they are. I’m a firm believer that when you look good, you feel good. If you’re feeling like old news because your clothes are the same, and you’re unable to rectify the issue with a shopping spree in the near future, try some of these tips to keep your wardrobe and your life fresh and exciting everyday.

The single most efficient way to keep your style looking new and original is to mix it up. Mixing and matching pieces of your wardrobe will create a variety of different looks. Try different color schemes, styles of layering, and alter the shoes and accessories you pair with your clothes in order to avoid looking the same day after day.

Another way to vary your appearance is to try out different hairstyles. Even if you’re stuck wearing the same clothing repeatedly, mixing up the rest of your appearance each day will contrast the fact that you may be wearing some not-so-current clothes.

If you like to wear make-up, wear it in a way that blends in and looks natural while highlighting the liveliness of your face. Wearing make-up that brightens your face will also keep you looking new and well rested, so nobody will notice how many times you’ve worn those clothes you’re so sick of.

Taking care of yourself is crucial to staying fresh, clean and bright. Get your beauty rest – people joke, but you actually do need restful sleep to keep the bags away from your eyes and to say alert and optimistic everyday. Shower regularly to keep your hair and body clean and healthy. When you yourself radiate a healthy glow and you feel awake and alert, it will do wonders for your overall appearance. Regardless of the fact you’re wearing that outfit for the third time in two weeks, no one will notice anything but your shining personality.

Save up your cash and hunt for deals at your favorite stores. While it’s easier said than done, and your money may be needed for other affairs, saving up whenever possible will be worth it for a shopping trip in the near future. Subscribe to the emailing and mailing lists for your favorite stores so you can take advantage of any new sales in stores or online, and make good use of the coupons they send you. Having even one new item to wear with the rest of your old clothes will give you just the little bit of revival you need in your wardrobe.

Have you ever noticed how over time, your favorite shirts may start to look worn or stale on your body? This is most likely due to the way you’re washing them. It’s important to follow the washing instructions on the tags and labels of your clothing; doing so helps the colors stay bright, the material strong, and the clothes their original size. If they shrink in the wash, they won’t fit right and will cause you to look a little disheveled or not well put together. Washing your clothes appropriately is key to keeping your old clothes looking new, no matter how long ago you bought them.

If your wardrobe seriously isn’t doing it, borrowing from your friends’ closets might be the trick to brightening up your look. Just be sure not to abuse their generosity; if you wear their clothes everyday, or take them without asking, you might be overstepping the limits. If they’re willing, however, trying out friends’ favorite tees or jeans – so long as they fit you well – is a good solution for a worn-out wardrobe.

Save your clothes. This one seems kind of counterintuitive, since what you really wish you were doing is buying more clothes to add. However, if you accumulate a strong collection of clothes – assuming that you’re done growing, and your weight doesn’t fluctuate drastically from year to year – you’ll be able to fashion old and new looks together, thus creating even more variety for your daily ensembles. Unless you’re the CEO of a high-end designer fashion company, the idea of clothes going out of style is an utter myth. You can re-wear your clothes as often as you want, because if done properly, they’ll always be a featured look when you’re wearing them.

If you’re especially conscious of the antiquity of your clothes, it helps to remember that nobody knows how long you’ve been wearing them for. Even though they’re looking drab to you in the mirror, to someone else, your old favorite shirt is as great of a find as it was to you the day you bought it. No one is really paying too much attention to what you’re wearing. That statement has both its positive and negative sides, but think of being fashionable as catching people’s eyes when you walk by because of how well put together you look, and how great your clothes accent your body and highlight the potential of your personality. Even if your look isn’t memorable for years, months, weeks, or even days, if it catches someone’s eye because you have great fashion sense, they won’t remember or be able to tell how old those clothes were.

Take advantage of gift-giving seasons. Is your birthday coming up? Maybe Christmas is right around the corner. Whatever the occasion, if you have a friend or family member who is considerate enough to ask you what you’d like, take advantage of the event to ask for gift cards and clothes to give your closet the boost it needs.

Throw away any broken, fraying, or generally ratty-looking clothing. It’s one thing to re-wear clothes, but it’s another when it looks unhealthy, is unhygienic, or is just bringing you down because it’s not in good condition. This is part of taking care of yourself; if your clothes are falling apart, you’re probably not going to feel confident or happy wearing them. Re-wear as often as you want, but use your judgment to toss out clothes that you definitely no longer need. When your ripped jeans suddenly have more rip than jean… it’s time to let them go. 

Regardless of how long you’ve been wearing your clothes for, chances are no one has noticed they’re old. Try some variation, keep yourself looking fresh and clean, and be confident in your style. You bought your clothes because you loved the way you look on you; even if they’ve grown a little old, it doesn’t mean you don’t still slay while wearing them.

Freshman at Boston University interested in fashion and lifestyle journalism. Main interests include anything related to dogs, flowers, music, and burritos (keeping my priorities in check, clearly). Hoping to use my position at Her Campus to inspire some college creativity and laughter, wherever they might be needed.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.