Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Save Money This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Not having your parents around to buy everything for you really takes a toll on most students’ bank accounts. A big chunk of money is inevitably spent on textbooks, but there are a ton of miscellaneous purchases that go along with living on your own that add up…fast. While it is difficult, there are a ton of ways to save money in college. Check out my best tips and tricks to saving money as a college student!

1. Using Your Meal Plan Instead of Eating Out

Photo Credit: BU Dining Services

While it is tempting to eat out, it’s important to take advantage of your meal plan. Limit your outings to restaurants and make plans to meet at the dining hall with your friends instead. Eating out is expensive and adds up fast, so try to limit it.

2. Using Public Transportation

Photo Credit: Mass DOT Blog

I know it’s easy to Uber or Lyft everywhere; I made this mistake my first semester of college. For the most part, walking or taking the T is your best option; it’s affordable and a cool way to meet new people and explore parts of the city you otherwise wouldn’t.

3. Limiting the Fancy Coffees

Photo Credit: Thrillist

I’m talking to you, the ones who buy a $5 coffee every morning (or multiple times a day). From firsthand experience, I know how hard it is to cut back—especially during PSL and PM season—but it is absolutely necessary if you really want to save money this semester. Start off slow by limiting it to a few times a week until you wean it off entirely. Make the switch to a dark roast coffee instead—not only will it save you a ton of money, but it also doesn’t come with the insane amount of sugar that the fancy coffees do.

4. Take Advantage of the Free Things at Your School and in Your City

Photo Credit: BU Student Activities Office

Going out can be expensive, but there are always a ton of free things you could do for entertainment instead. Take advantage of the events your college hosts!. They are extremely fun and free (for the most part). If you aren’t interested in the events going on at your school, check out the ones in your city. I like to take a look at the events section on Facebook, there’s always a ton of fun stuff. So go out of your comfort zone and take advantage of the free events at your school and in your city.

5. Being Smarter with Your Laundry

Photo Credit: The Spruce

Doing laundry can get really expensive. I find that waiting until the majority of your clothes are dirty and doing a single load—rather than doing multiple small loads whenever you want to wear a certain thing—is your best option. Air drying your clothes is also a good option, if possible.

Saving money can be hard, but being a broke college student can be even harder. I hope that you will utilize these tips and that they will help you keep up with your New Years Resolutions. Good luck!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Clarissa is a senior majoring in Journalism at Boston University's College of Communication. Besides writing, Clarissa loves Srabble, astrology, and satire. ?
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.