This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The moment you give a present is both terrifying and wonderfully exciting. It’s the epic finale to the journey of excavating the perfect gift from the rubble of options. We forage through the weeds of holiday deals and trudge through crowds (or wi-fi issues) to discover the gift that gives the most. While most of us are willing to endeavor on the search, one question remains: where do you start?

Finding the perfect gift starts with knowing who you are giving to. A gift should reflect the person you are giving it to without being predictable. Knowing who you are giving to acts as a blueprint to building the perfect gift. Start by making a list of qualities your person has, memories you spent together, his or her hobbies, and interests. Listing helps to visualize which aspects of your person the gift should emphasize.

Once you get to know the person you are buying for, think of gifts that enhance their qualities, resemble a memory you share, or are useful in their hobby or profession. For instance, buying a shirt from a place where you and a friend spent a vacation together could bring back positive memories and feelings from the trip. It also shows your friend holds a significant place in your memories. If you are having trouble, check out The Strategist for a list of gifts. Try to brainstorm a list of products and then narrow down the best options.

The best option is the gift that has the most significant value. While most gifts tend to have some monetary value, their significance comes from the emotions and memories they represent. Therefore, it is the thought that goes into a present that makes it perfect, not because it cost a significant amount of money or was hard to find.

This holiday, spend time thinking about and appreciating those around you. The season of giving means devoting time and compassion to those you care about, and not getting lost in the endless deals and options.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Maria is a junior advertising major at Boston University. When not in class, Maria can be found running along the Charles, drawing, getting coffee, and listening to Kacey Musgraves or Stevie Nicks. She hopes to one day be a copywriter or account planner at an advertising agency.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.