Style

How to Online Shop Like A Champ, Now that We Can’t Shop In Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Online shopping is a super easy habit to get into, and a fun one at that. You see a piece of clothing or shoes that you like from a trustworthy brand, and you can barely help yourself. Whatever you’re shopping for looks even better if it’s on sale with the percent markdown written right next to it. You’re getting a high quality item for half the price, and you deserve it! 

However, be mindful of how much you’re buying something just because it’s on sale. While it is marked down, you’re still spending money on it. There’s nothing wrong with online shopping and adding items to your wishlist (and basket!), but keep track of how much money you’re spending if you find it’s becoming a habit of yours. 

online shopping with credit card
Shopify Partners

Think about how much you really want that item versus how much you’re going to wear it. This idea kind of mirrors the way people minimize how much is in their closets or elsewhere by holding up an item and deciding whether it ‘sparks joy’ or not. While you can’t physically hold the item up online, try to picture what you can match this item with and how much use you’re going to get out of it in everyday life. 

Remember, higher quality (for a higher price) over lower quality (for a lower price). This one probably goes without saying, but prioritize higher quality clothing over lower quality clothing. The more expensive item will most definitely last longer, and even though it’s a bigger blow to your bank account at the time, you won’t have to continuously buy clothing that wears down faster.

Amanda Vick via Unsplash

Shipping costs are also incredibly important to note. Don’t get too fooled by a brand that offers free shipping past a certain mark. At least in my opinion, I always see this as the brand trying to get you to spend more as a chance to get a few dollars off the total. Unless you actively want to spend over 50, 75 or 100 dollars, don’t get tricked into doing it. Most of the time, regular shipping costs will be low enough to still be able to buy the items in your basket comfortably.

While this isn’t every tip for online shopping and you should shop however you feel comfortable, it’s just a few recommendations for those looking for them. Happy shopping!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

I'm a sophomore at Boston University studying journalism on a pre-law school track.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.