Money 30 micheile henderson lZ 4nPFKcV8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 30 micheile henderson lZ 4nPFKcV8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Make Those Summer Job Paychecks Last

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

How many of you relate to the struggles of the “broke college student?” Between textbooks, groceries, dorm décor, and Ubers, it’s easy to drain your bank account only a few weeks into the semester.  Before you know it, you’re wondering what happened to those hard-earned paychecks from your summer job that you thought would last you until winter break.  If you’re trying to make your summer cash last, here are a few tips to help you spend and budget smarter this semester!

Use an App to Budget Your Money

Photo from Google Play

It’s safe to say that every college student has their phone within reach 99.9% of the time, so why not use your phone to help track the money you’re spending each day? Try using an app, like CoinKeeper, which allows you to log how much money you’re spending on groceries, eating out, transportation, shopping, or any additional categories you add!

Cook More and Eat Out Less

If you live in an apartment or any building equipped with a kitchen, take advantage of the opportunity to cook! Cooking at home will save you money in the long run, and allow you to stretch one grocery trip through dozens of meals, instead of dropping your cash on one meal out.  If you live in a dorm with a meal plan, make use of your dining hall as a budget-friendly option, and reserve takeout as a treat every once in awhile!

Shop Around Online to Get the Best Deals

Whether it’s textbooks or clothes you’re looking for, make sure to do some research before you buy.  If you’re looking for the perfect tapestry to complete your room, look at a few stores’ prices before you order to make sure you’re getting the most bang for your buck. Amazon is always a great place to look for deals, especially if you’re a Prime member. Who doesn’t love free shipping?

Skip the Lines and Make Your Coffee at Home

Everyone knows that coffee shops on campus have lines out the door during that morning rush, so why not skip the wait, and make your coffee at home? Even if you live in a dorm, having a small Keurig coffee maker can save you time and money! Stock up on your favorite brews and creamers, grab a cute travel mug, and you’re ready to have your coffee before you’re out the door and on the way to class!

Now that you have these tips, you can start the semester off right, and make those summer paychecks last!

Lexa is a junior at Boston University, studying Journalism in the College of Communication. You can often find her sipping on an iced coffee and trying to take an artsy photo that fits her Instagram aesthetic. Lexa hopes she can someday combine her passions for fashion, art, dance, and writing into a career, but for now, she'll be strolling down Comm Ave trying to make #LifeasLexa a personal brand.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.