How to Live Eco-Friendly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

There’s no doubt that in recent years, the health of our environment has become a popular topic in classrooms, political debates and even at the dinner table.  With growing concerns about global warming and efforts across the world to cultivate more environmentally-friendly lifestyles, it’s time we talk about how us college students can contribute to the health of our planet. 

1.  Make the effort to recycle.

Even if you live in a building where there isn’t recycling facilities on every level, make the effort to separate your trash from your recyclable goods such as cardboard or plastic bottles.  This way, if you have two separate, designated garbage cans for recyclable versus non-recyclable goods, you can make a weekly trip to the nearest recycling bin to do your part in reducing unnecessary landfill waste. 

2. Invest in a reusable water bottle.

People often don’t realize how much water they actually waste: think of all the (almost) empty water bottles you throw out on a daily basis that still contain perfectly good drinking water. Furthermore, every time you don’t recycle a disposable plastic water bottle, you’re only adding to growing landfills. Instead, it’s time to invest in a reusable water bottle, which will not only help save our planet, but will also save you money in the long run.  Without the daily cost of purchasing water bottles, you’ll find a little extra cash in your wallet at the end of the week – and who doesn’t love that?!  Also, there are a ton of super cute, reusable bottles you can purchase, such as these adorable glass options from bkr.  They’ll not only look more stylish than your typical plastic disposable bottle, but they’ll also help you live more eco-friendly, too!

Purchase it here.

3.  Use public transportation as often as possible.

Even though Uber and Lyft are convenient modes of travel, cars are a major producer of greenhouse gases that contribute to global warming.  Instead of increasing the amount of vehicles on the road and fuel being consumed, opt for public transportation.  Especially if you live in a city, these forms of transportations are usually easily accessible and cheaper alternatives. 

4. Use a reusable bag for shopping.

Whether you’re headed to the grocery store, the pharmacy or even the mall, bring along a reusable shopping bag to carry home your goodies.  Not only are reusable bags a cute and practical accessory, but they also greatly reduce waste from plastic and paper shopping alternatives. Opt for any seriously adorable and eco-friendly tote bag, like this chevron patterned tote for only $9.99!   

5.  Learn more about your campus resources.

Most college campuses have organizations or programs that promote eco-friendly practices.  Here at Boston University, we not only have a sustainability program aimed at minimizing BU’s environmental footprint, but we also have the student group Divest BU, which attempts to raise awareness about the dangers of fossil fuels and their impact on climate change.  Learning about the organizations on your campus that are working to counteract environmental damage is an important step in figuring out how to change your day-to-day behaviors in order to be more eco-friendly.  Beyond your college campus, learn about politicians’ environmental platforms – especially in the upcoming election – and choose leaders who you think can help contribute to sustainability nationwide!

Lexa is a junior at Boston University, studying Journalism in the College of Communication. You can often find her sipping on an iced coffee and trying to take an artsy photo that fits her Instagram aesthetic. Lexa hopes she can someday combine her passions for fashion, art, dance, and writing into a career, but for now, she'll be strolling down Comm Ave trying to make #LifeasLexa a personal brand.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.