This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

In many cases, breakups are painful, especially if you and your ex end on good terms. But just like anything else, parting ways with a romantic partner is a life experience –– there is always something you can learn.

Picture from: shape.com

You’ll learn that there was a reason that this person left your life. If a relationship is meant to end, that means there were probably underlying problems with the relationship in the first place.

Picture from: eharmony.co.uk

You’ll learn that there were warning signs. Maybe your ex was dropping hints they were not ready for commitment or showed you in little ways that they were not faithful. This will help you watch out for red flags in the future. 

You’ll learn a lot about yourself: what you like in a partner, what you don’t like, or perhaps that you would much rather stay single. 

You’ll learn from mistakes you made with your former significant other. Did you tell them too much? Were you too guarded? Relationships are a two-way street and everyone makes mistakes. I know I did with my exes. 

You’ll learn that even if you’re sad for a while, you will come out of the experience strong, happy, and ready to move on.

In the end, you’ll learn that you deserve so much more and so much better than what you had before. If you do decide that you want another relationship, this knowledge will help you be more successful in your next one. If you want to remain single and do your own thing, you’ll be an even stronger and successful independent force to be reckoned with. 

Learning from past relationships allows you to move forward. And who knows — It may also help you find a better one. HCXO!

Charlotty Herman is a freshman journalism student at Emerson College. She was an editor on her high school's yearbook staff and over the summer, she had an internship with the Reboot Fellows. As well as journalism, she is passionate about the Spanish language, which she has been taking for seven years now. She loves Boston, and when not in class, she enjoys creative writing, fashion, and drinking coffee.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.