How I Made My Birthday in Quarantine A Fun and Special Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We now have a new normal. We all are, or at least should be, social distancing. Many of our plans have been canceled, as well as our classes and other social engagements. I also had plans that were canceled because of the coronavirus. More specifically, my birthday plans were canceled, leaving me with no idea how to celebrate my birthday in quarantine. With the help of TikTok and my friends and family, I was able to have an amazing birthday, all without leaving my house. I am going to walk you through everything I did on my birthday while quarantining. 

Girl blowing out candles
Sergei Solo

My birthday was on a Monday, so I did have three classes on Zoom. However, I started my morning in the best way: eating Chick-fil-A. I took all the precautions in order to make sure my family and I were safe, such as transferring the food and drinks from their containers to clean dishes from my home. This was the first time in a while that I enjoyed fast food because I have been trying to eat healthier while social distancing, and it was an incredible start to my birthday. 

As I said before, I did have three classes that I had to attend and homework to do. By the time I completed that, it was almost time for dinner. 

Since my birthday plans with my friends were canceled, I wanted to compensate for that by celebrating with them virtually. To make it a bit more interesting, I decided to try something I saw on TikTok. I recently saw a TikTok where someone quizzed their friends and family by creating a Kahoot about their life. I thought this was the perfect thing to do for my birthday. I made a Kahoot with really obscure questions about my life. On my birthday, I made a Zoom call for all my friends to join, shared my screen, and played the Kahoot with my friends and family. Everyone seemed to really enjoy the game, and it was a great way for me to celebrate with everyone, even virtually. 

I stayed on the Zoom call with my friends for quite a while after we played the Kahoot game. It was nice to have us all together. One thing that I am really struggling with while social distancing is making sure that I am keeping in contact with my friends and staying social. Being able to see my friends despite the situation made my birthday much more enjoyable and special. 

Photo by Gabriel Benois on Unsplash

My parents spent a lot of time and effort to make my birthday special despite the circumstances. They bought a cake and got take-out for dinner from one of my favorite local restaurants. 

After dinner, we called my grandmas on Zoom. During this time, I have also tried to stay in contact with both of my grandmothers, as they live alone and are social distancing. While on the call, I opened my gifts. Honestly, everything felt somewhat normal for a second. It felt as though everyone was there with me despite the distance. 

Overall, one thing made my birthday in quarantine special: spending time with family and friends. If you are also celebrating your birthday in quarantine, or if you are just social distancing (which you should be), staying in touch with friends and family is extremely important. It has helped me tremendously during this situation. Everyone is struggling with feelings of sadness and loneliness, so you are not alone. Reach out. Call your friends and family. Stay in touch with people.

If you are going to be celebrating your birthday in quarantine, this will certainly be a birthday you will always remember, so do your best to make it a great one!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Grace is a sophomore at Boston University. She is studying Public Relations with a minor in Anthropology. Grace is originally from Raleigh, North Carolina.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.