How I Cleared My Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Starting junior year of high school, I suffered from uncontrollable acne.  Going to pool parties, the beach, and just having sleepovers was super embarrassing for me—I dreaded the moment my face makeup would come off.  I had tried everything— products from every drugstore brand you can imagine, Proactiv, prescription skin care, and even prescription medicine.  It was definitely my worst quality.

Last year, I grew interested in watching different YouTube personalities online.  I came across Alison Henry, a girl who primarily does make-up tutorials.  I noticed that she posted a video titled, “How I Cleared My Skin | Updated Skin Care Routine.”  Even in her thumbnail photo, it showed a before and after picture of her skin.  I have to say, I WAS IN SHOCK.  Her skin was probably a little worse than mine in the beginning, but waaaaay better than mine at the end.  I remember thinking, I need to know her secret (I will link her video down below, BTW).

After watching her video, I dug through all of my products (I am kind of a product-whore, lol) and found a few of the ones mentioned in her video. I then went and purchased what I didn’t have in my collection.

Essentially, I switched from using ALL salicylic acid/benzoyl peroxide products (basically, all of the products you buy to cure acne contain these ingredients) to a much more natural product combination.  After just a month of switching my routine, I noticed INSANE differences in my skin.  It was really working!  The thing is, when you overdo the acne medication on your skin, your skin gets so dried out that it goes crazy and breaks out everywhere.  Finding your perfect balance of products and incorporating natural products into your routine is key.

It has now been about a year since I have changed my routine, and this has honestly been the best my skin has looked since before junior year of high school.  And I’m a sophomore in college!

Incase you were wondering my routine, here it is!  I will be sure to include all product links so you can check them out.  If you watch Alison’s video, you will notice that she uses a few different products than the ones I do—but they all work!  This is just what I have found works best for my skin.

In the morning:

1. I begin with a light cleanser, such as Cetaphil for Normal/Oily Skin, just to get off the oils that have accumulated during the night.  Any light cleanser that says non-comedogenic and hypo-allergenic is what you want to look for.  This ensures that it will not irritate any skin that’s sensitive to breakouts.

2. I then apply a 100% Witch Hazel Toner all over my skin with a cotton pad to balance my pH, moisturize, shrink pores and rejuvenate my skin.

3. After that, I apply a non-comedogenic and hypo-allergenic moisturizer.  My favorite is Simple Protecting Light Moisturizer.

I’m then set for the day!  As far as face makeup goes, I try not to wear it every day; it’s nice to let my skin breathe.  When I am shopping for face makeup, I look for non-comedogenic and hypo-allergenic on all products.  My current favorite is Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Power Foundation.  It’s mad expensive but works THE BEST for me.  It also lasts forever!

At night:

1. The trick: you wash your face TWICE.  I first use Cetaphil (light cleanser) again to get rid of my makeup.  You can use makeup remover before this if you’d like, which I do whenever I have an excessive amount of eye makeup on, but normally, I just use the cleanser.

2. For a couple months, I have been using Biore Deep Pore Charcoal Cleanser as my second cleanser with my face-cleansing brush.  I am IN LOVE with using charcoal on my face.  I feel it really draws out the impurities in my skin.  I received a Clarisonic for Christmas, and I have to say, I really, REALLY recommend this.  It has truly transformed my skin even more since the holiday season.  I definitely now have a smoother, clearer complexion.   I will link Clarisonic’s website down below to show you how their product differs from the cheaper drugstore brands.  However, if you cannot afford a Clarisonic right now, (I definitely would not be able to buy one right now, like I said, the only reason I have one was because I received one for Christmas) definitely purchase the Olay Professional Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System.

3. Twice a week, I skip the entire second cleanser/Clarisonic part and use a salt scrub on my face instead.  Lush’s Ocean Salt is my absolute favorite.  If I’m really having a bad skin week, this stuff works miracles for my skin.  Not to mention, it smells like a trip to the beach ;)

4. After cleansing with my Clarisonic or using Lush’s Ocean Salt, I pat my skin dry, and apply the 100% Witch Hazel Toner as you should apply toner twice a day.

5. Following the toner, I apply a light night cream.  The one I am currently using is by Neutrogena and is also non-comedogenic.

6. Finally, I apply Clean & Clear’s Persa-Gel on any spots.  This contains maximum strength benzoyl peroxide, which is awesome.  This part of my routine is the only part where I actually apply acne medication on my face.

Here’s Alison’s video if you wanted to check that out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbmH_zv9yMI

Aaaand here is the link to Clarisonic’s website:

http://www.clarisonic.com.sg/uses-and-benefits.html

I really hope that my routine helps you out!  I’m not saying this will work for everyone, but I was truly a girl who had absolutely no hope for her skin.  After a year of sticking to this, I am amazed by the results.  Also, I know this is a really long routine.  But hey, you gotta do what works for you!

If you have any other skincare questions, feel free to email me at Nicole.gergits@gmail.com. I’m no expert, but I’ll try my best to help! xoxo

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.