This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The weather is warming up, finals are fast approaching, and plans are being made for a few months of freedom from college classes. Summer is almost here, and I could not be more excited about a break from school. While summer is a great opportunity to rest and recharge, it’s also a perfect time to gain experience and knowledge that will help in your future career. Here is some of my advice for having a productive yet enjoyable summer!

Firstly, invest your time wisely. Everyone has different career aspirations and goals, so keep that in mind when deciding what you want to do for the summer. If you wish to gain professional experience, prioritize looking for internships or research opportunities. If you want to pursue a new side hustle, invest in the tools you need to create your product. Being productive in something you don’t care about won’t help you in the long run, so make sure you’re aligning your summer goals with things that will benefit you in the future.

planner picture
Photo by Alexa Williams from Unsplash
Next, create a schedule and stick to it. If you want to spend a few hours a week learning a new coding language or reading a book, plan it into your day instead of just saying that you’ll do it. If you want to get more into exercising, make a routine you stick to instead of just working out when you feel like it. This will help keep you from putting it off or forgetting about it and will also make sure you’re using your time efficiently. That way you’ll get things done, and will have more time to relax.

Woman sitting alone on beach
Photo by Cody Black from Unsplash
Lastly, remember to be balanced. The summer can be a great time to earn money and gain experience, but it should also serve as a break! So, make sure to take time to do things you enjoy and pick up some hobbies that are just for your enjoyment. Whether it’s baking, painting, or a sport, take some time to enjoy a new hobby. In the long run, this will only make you more productive and more successful. 

Hopefully this advice will inspire you to make the most of your summer while also taking time for yourself! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Ruby is a sophomore from Phoenix, Arizona studying computer science and media science at BU. She loves to express her passions through writing, and hopes to help some readers along the way. Besides writing for Her Campus, Ruby spends her time cooking, reading, and exploring new coffee shops.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.