Style > Beauty

How Has the Pandemic Changed Beauty Expectations?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s common knowledge that in a workplace, appearance is pretty important. From a casual office to a professional business space, there will always be some standard of how people should present themselves. On top of that, women are often held to higher expectations, with studies showing that women who are perceived as “attractive” earn 20% more than women who aren’t. This was also correlated to women who wore makeup or had styled hair compared to women who didn’t.

So, it’s evident that the beauty standard for women has both economic and societal consequences. However, the pandemic has put a wrench in traditional workplace expectations. With people working from home, many businesses being closed, and the stress of a pandemic surrounding the world, it makes sense that some standards of appearance have gone to the wayside. While some of these effects may be temporary, it’s possible they may have lasting impacts.

woman working from home laptop
Photo by Vlada Karpovich from Pexels
According to an Opinium study, 25% of women surveyed reported wearing fewer color cosmetics, with 39% of women feeling happy to be more natural during the lockdown. This satisfaction could possibly lead to less overall makeup use down the road, especially as forms of work from home seem to be becoming more and more permanent. 

However, this doesn’t necessarily mean makeup will be gone for good. The same study found many women have turned to using makeup for self-care or entertainment, showing that makeup isn’t just an activity for societal approval. It’s possible that makeup and other cosmetic rituals may evolve more into fun activities instead of pressuring standards.

woman in robe and towel wiping face
Photo by Alexey Sokolov from Icons8

The pandemic’s impacts on society are far from over, and signs show the beauty industry may be changing for good. Hopefully, makeup will be valued as a way to bring women joy and confidence and not a way to limit them in the workforce.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Ruby is a sophomore from Phoenix, Arizona studying computer science and media science at BU. She loves to express her passions through writing, and hopes to help some readers along the way. Besides writing for Her Campus, Ruby spends her time cooking, reading, and exploring new coffee shops.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.