How to Get Into Fitness (From a Girl Who Previously Couldn’t Do Jumping Jacks)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As a freshman at BU, constantly surrounded by attractive, fit people, I was the girl who didn’t have exercise as a part of my routine, who never once visited FitRec, and became out of breath after climbing a few flights of stairs. As a small framed Asian girl, I didn’t struggle with my weight, but at the same time, I knew I wanted to make positive changes to my body. After hearing all of my friends raving about the euphoric feelings from their workouts, I realized I could and should join the fun. After 6 months of trial and error, exercise and fitness are routine to me. I am not working out for a temporary “bikini body” but for my own health and happiness. For a girl who couldn’t finish a 5-minute cardio routine involving jumping jacks to now someone who tries spin classes, experiments with weightlifting, and frequently goes on 3-mile jogs, if I could do it, so could you. Below are some tips on how to get started.

1.     Start small

No one can go from zero to hero in a day. Getting into exercising can be as simple as brisk walking down Commonwealth Ave or starting with a short, 10-minute jog on the treadmill. Gradually, you will be adding more to your routine and you’d be surprised at how well your body can handle new challenges.

2.     Do what you like

If being stuck in the gym sounds unappealing, don’t be afraid to exercise elsewhere. Take a free Zumba class at Fit Rec or play volleyball at the BU Beach with friends. Don’t ever feel limited, because there are so many ways to get active!

3.     Utilize the free resources around you

Starting from scratch can be difficult, but there are endless YouTube videos and fitness blogs online to give you directions on anything. Also, you’re paying a 60k tuition, so you might as well take advantage of the state-of-the-art FitRec gym

4.     Don’t compare yourself to others

There will always be someone who can run faster, lift heavier, and perform better than you. Don’t focus on the negative thoughts but instead be proud and inspired by yourself. Once you instill confidence in yourself, you can take on the world.

Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis