How to Experience the Ballet on a Student Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

A scene filled with ornate tutus, muscular dancers and heart-pounding music illuminate the Boston Opera House’s stage. Each night hundreds of dedicated patrons and dance enthusiasts fill the seats to watch the magic of the Boston Ballet at work. Whether it is a classic, such as The Nutcracker or Swan Lake, or a lesser known piece, audiences can be assured they are in for something special.  

As a college student with a limited budget, the glamour and luxury of the ballet may seem out of reach — but that is not true. Boston Ballet offers student rush tickets for every show during their season. The tickets must be bought in cash at the Opera House box office window two hours prior to show time. Each ticket is $25, or less than a week’s worth of Starbucks, with a student ID 

The two hours pass quickly as ballet-goers explore Boston’s Theatre District. Right off of the Boylston T stop on the Green line, the Opera House is located near many restaurants, bars and the Chinatown district. Fill up on dim sum or pizza before any of Boston Ballet’s great shows this season.  

This season’s scheduling includes:  

Third Symphony of Gustav Mahler: A Ballet by John Neumeier: October 22 – November 1, 2015 

The Nutcracker: November 27 – December 31, 2015 

Onegin: February 25 – March 6, 2016 

Kaleidoscope: March 17 – 26, 2016 

Swan Lake: April 29 – May 26, 2016 

Mirrors: May 6 – 28, 2016 

So grab your opera glasses, a glass of champagne from the lobby and a group of friends and head to see the Boston Ballet perform this year. Just because you are a student does not mean you cannot treat yourself.  

Be sure to check out the preview from Boston Ballet’s current production, Third Symphony of Gustav Mahler: A Ballet by John Neumeier.

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.