How to Do Fall According to Someone Who Has Never Seen it Before

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

So, I think it is finally fall, although I can’t be too sure, for I have never experienced it before. I’m from Florida where we have two seasons: hot and less hot. In Florida, the sun is always shining and the leaves are always green, but now something strange is happening outside in Boston.

Photo Credit: The Boston Calendar

The leaves are just starting to change and dust the sidewalks in a multi-colored array of red, orange, and yellow. I finally understand why the seasons have colors. The sun still usually shines, but there is a slight breeze in the air and a brisk chill. It’s wonderful. How could I have never seen this before!? 

Now that’s it is fall, is it time to follow what all of those posts on social media say and buy a pumpkin spice latte? Going off of the fairytales I’ve heard of this “spooky season,” I think this is how you are supposed to go about fall:

Go to a Pumpkin Patch

This is a fall must, even in Florida. Except here, you can actually lace up your knee-high boots and wrap up your scarf. Take advantage of this fall weather and get all decked out for a pumpkin patch photo shoot. After that, please bring home a pumpkin and carve it in some fun way. Nothing says fall like a pile of mush and seeds in your hands!

Make a Giant Leaf Pile

I don’t know about you, but this is definitely what I am most excited about this fall. You can expect to see me scraping and jumping into piles of leaves all across campus, all season long. Honestly, isn’t this the whole point of fall?

Eat All of the Fall Foods

Here’s another exciting activity which you can expect to see me doing. Pumpkin pie? Yes, please. Candy corn? Hand it over. Pumpkin spice latte? Sure, why not? This is your excuse to eat as many sweets as possible. Just go for it.

Go to an Apple Orchard

This is something very special that not many people can do. We are lucky to live in Massachusetts, an apple-growing machine of a state!!! There are dozens of orchards just outside of Boston and fall is harvesting season. Grab a group of friends and pick some apples, drink some cider, and fall in love with autumn.

Most of All, Be-Leaf in Yourself

While fall is a great time to try new things and participate in fun activities with friends, it’s also a super intense time of the school year. Take time to study, rest, and prepare for your finals. If you have confidence and believe in yourself, you will have nothing to worry about. You are the pick of the patch!

Dear gourd, it’s a beautiful autumn day out there. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Emma is an English major at Boston University. She hopes to have a novel published and write for a sketch comedy show one day. In her free time she reads, writes, and paints. She loves to make people laugh and fully believes in aliens.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.