Starbucks cups are piling on my workspace, my hand is cramping from creating hundreds of flashcards, and at this point, I’m writing “the the” twice. All this is a result of studying for five hours straight. I probably have five more dreadful hours. Sound familiar? Thought so. If you’re as stressed as I am about exams (or papers, if that’s what is stressing you out), get inspired by the following list!
- Downward-facing dog sure will get your blood flowing and your mind off the books. Any kind of yoga practice will induce relaxation and awareness—both of which contribute to de-stressing and staying focused!
- Speaking of dogs, look at pictures of baby animals for a good half hour to remind you that there’s more to life than grades and school. Cute kittens await you!
- Treat yourself to something delicious. Piping hot tea and pumpkin bread does the trick for me. But, for you, it may be a new pair of heels. Reward yourself for your hard work, honey!
- Create or find a playlist that either lets you either chill out or amps you up. Usually, I go to songza to find a playlist that is sure to match my mood and environment. I’ve also recently discovered a site called Rainy Café that provides you with a café and/or rainy ambience.
- In the midst of all this real difficult studying, it’s never a bad idea to watch a movie. This past weekend, I watched Ferris Bueller’s Day Off one night and saw Don Jon the next. Both movies were much-needed distractions from reality.
- Get physical! Schedule a dance break, run along the Esplanade, or release some endorphins in the bedroom. Your body and mind will thank you.
- Go outside and get your nature on. Explore the Arnold Arboretum, get lost in the history of the Freedom Trail, or just walk down Bay State Road!
Most importantly, take a lot of breaks. You’re more likely to sustain a study session if you block out some time every now and then to get a meal or simply close your notes. Also, take into account the resources that Student Health Services provides, including the fact sheet below.