How to Celebrate International Women’s Day Every Day!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s March and you know what that means—it’s Women’s History Month! This month is a time to look back on all of the badass things women around the world have accomplished and the amazing women behind these accomplishments.  

On Friday, March, 8th, we all took a second to acknowledge and appreciate all of the wonderful women in this world on International Women’s Day. But let’s face it, one day is NOT enough to honor women for everything that they do. A wise woman once said, “Who run the world? Girls.” If the words of Beyonce are true then shouldn’t we be celebrating Women’s Day every day?

You may be thinking to yourself, ‘I can’t possibly do that, it’s too much work!’ Fear not, dear reader. I have a solution for you! Here are five simple ways you can celebrate International Women’s Day every day!

1. Support woman-owned small businesses.

The next time you go shopping (whether it be online or in person) buy your goods at a woman-owned small business! By buying from these shops you are supporting women in the workforce. For all of my Boston peeps, she+geeks out put together an amazing list of local women-owned businesses for your shopping pleasure!

2. Empower female voices. 

Listen to the women who choose to speak their truth. Encourage the girls in your life to let their voices be heard. Tell your sisters, friends, mothers, and everyone else in between that if they have something to say that they should not be afraid to say it.

Focus on bringing women up versus silencing their voices. If you do not agree with someone, have a discussion rather than resulting to insults and pettiness.

3. Respect women’s lifestyles.

Real talk: there are over 3 billion women in this world (and that doesn’t even include all of my female-identifying sisters!). That means 3 billion experiences, 3 billion beliefs, 3 billion hairstyles, and 3 billion different lifestyles. It’s important for us to remember that there are going to be people tons of people on this pale blue dot who choose to live their lives differently than you. Anything from choosing to shave versus keeping body hair to thinking virginity is a construct versus waiting until marriage is a valid view. We must respect the way that women choose to live their lives, regardless of our differences.

4. Show yourself some love!

This is for all of my ladies: take a second for yourself! Breathe. Relax. Do the little things that make YOU happy. Because let’s face it, even the most badass of women need some time for self-care.

5. Say thank you.

Finally, show some love and appreciation to the women in your life who help make it special. Call up your grandma and say hello! Text your mom a cute gif once in a while. Text your girl gang and tell them how much you love them just because! It is super important that we tell the people we love how much they mean to us while they are here. Take a second to tell the lovely ladies in this world why they are extraordinary!

Even though International Women’s Day 2019  has passed, don’t let that stop you from acting like its ladies’ day every day! If we treat every day like Women’s Day, then surely, the world will be a better place.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Nicole is a freshman at Boston University majoring in Journalism. She originally hails from Miami, Florida but has chosen to leave the endless summer behind for actual seasons! Along with her passion for writing, she loves reading, listening to music, and exploring the city of Boston.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.