How To Care For Oily Skin In the Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you’ll definitely be worrying about what kind of skincare your oily skin needs to survive the harsh stormy sea that is winter in Boston or the Northeast. Should you moisturize? Should you scrub? Should you apply a toner? What brands do you use? Should you take vitamins? Change your diet? 

Yes, yes (occasionally), yes (probably), we’ll get to that in a second, yes, and maybe. 

1. Moisturizers

I found that Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Oil-Free Lotion (which is only $28.00) is also really helpful. It has a light formula that doesn’t make your face feel like an oil factory, and you can get it at Nordstrom.

Another moisturizer that’s pretty affordable is Dr. Roebuck’s Pure Face Moisturizer, which costs $36 that’s available at Sephora.  It’s a thick cream which really helps if you have flaky and irritable complexion. 

Alternatively, you could try Mario Badescu’s Control Moisturizer For Oily Skin, which is only $18, and helps with hydrating your skin without leaving it looking too greasy.  

2. Scrubs/Exfoliation

One of my favorite scrubs for acne-prone oily skin is the St. Ives Blemish Control Face Scrub that you can get from Target (everyone’s favorite store) for a mere $3.39. Exfoliating is really important to slough off dead skin cells so that you have a bright, fresh complexion. 

3. Toners

People swear by Thayers Alcohol-Free Rose Petal Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera that you can easily order off of Amazon. It’s supposed to work wonders for just about every skin problem you can imagine- redness, blotches, blemishes, and spots. 

4. Vitamins

I personally take Astaxanthin tablets for my skin, and though I’m (unfortunately) inconsistent in doing this, when I do take my pills I notice that my skin is a lot clearer. Besides taking supplements, it’s wise to just drink a lot of plain warm water and consume foods rich in Vitamin E like nuts, seeds, vegetable oils. Getting enough Vitamin D, which people usually get from the sun, is essential. Make sure to eat plenty of mushrooms, eggs, and fish. 

Although it’s important to take care of your skin, and everyone does indeed want to look their best, it’s very very important to not get obsessed. Sometimes stressing about your skin will only make it worse. Appreciate yourself and know that you are valid, beautiful and intelligent. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

The quintessential English major who's obsessed with coffee, Orange Is The New Black, puppies, babies and also human rights (coz those are important). She can usually be found trying to convince people that she's actually a college student or eating at Panda Express. In her spare time, she also enjoys arguing about whether or not Kanye West is a genius or overrated. Follow her on instagram @dahappytoad .
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.