This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

My 2020 New Year’s resolution was to start bullet journaling, but I had no idea where to start. I began by watching a bunch of YouTube videos and making a Pinterest board, until I eventually dove straight in. In this article I will guide you through how to begin your very first bullet journal!

Decide How You’re Going to Use Your Bullet Journal

There are multiple uses for a bullet journal! For example, you can use it as a weekly or monthly planner for school, or as a journal to document your mood or current events in your life. You can also do a combination of a planner and journal. I decided to make mine a planner with a yearly mood tracker and some blank “brain dump” pages where I could write about random things that happened to me during the month.

Make a List of What You Plan on Including in Your Bullet Journal

Before I started my journal, I made a checklist of what I planned on including. Some examples include a mood tracker, a habit tracker, a year at a glance, monthly and weekly planner spreads, etc. In my opinion, it’s easier to start a bullet journal when you know what direction you are heading.

Find Inspiration on Pinterest

I love making Pinterest boards for finding inspiration in my craft projects. Another good step before beginning your journal is finding inspiration and making a Pinterest board. Especially if you don’t know exactly what to include, you can find plenty of ideas online.

Get Started!

Finally, once you know what you are including in your journal, you can get started confidently. Once you have started, don’t stop! While it can be time consuming at first, it is an extremely stress relieving activity and can be used in productive ways.

Remember what Bob Ross said, “We don’t make mistakes, just happy little accidents.” It’s the same with journaling. If you make a mistake, don’t rip a page out! You can work around it, add a sticker on top, or even turn it into a doodle. Good luck starting your bullet journal!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Originally from NYC, Allie Longworth is a current sophomore at Boston University studying Health Science in hopes of one day becoming a pediatrician. Her hobbies include arts and crafts, marine biology, and cooking.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.