How to Budget Your Holiday Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s that time of year again, and we know what you’re thinking: “It’s barely November!  The holidays are a whole month away.”  But be wary collegiates, the hustle and bustle for the perfect gift are just around the corner. The holiday season puts a lot of stress on us and…our wallets.  So don’t wait to get started!

1. Decide who you are shopping for

Though you want to buy gifts for everyone (it is the season of giving, right?) with the budget of a college student you will be forced to pick and choose.  So who makes your essentials list? Mom, dad, siblings?  Your aunt who always sends the best gifts?  That special someone?  It’s up to you to decide.  You may feel pressured to buy gifts for all of your friends, but don’t be afraid to suggest grabbing lunch instead or doing secret santa so you only have to buy one gift instead of several.

2. How much money will you spend on them?

It’s easy to go crazy, and buy the nicest gifts for everyone on your list.  But make a plan ahead of time of how much you will spend on each person.  Maybe spend a little bit more on Mom than you would on your brother  because she does so much for you.  If you have a significant other, don’t feel pressured to buy the most expensive gift in the world.  Getting them something they will genuinely like is much more meaningful than throwing away money on something you assume they will.

3. Start shopping early!

Not only do stores get wild and traffic heightens, but shipping prices sky rocket over the holiday season.  If you’re studying a good distance away from home, it is especially important to start shopping now so you don’t end up throwing away big bucks on cardboard boxes and snail mail.

4. Wrap, Write, and Send

Set a date for when you want to have all of your shopping finished and sent to all of the nice kids on your list.  This will eliminate the unnecessary stress of last-minute holiday shopping because there really is no time for that with upcoming finals.

5. Did you get everything done?

Take a minute to look back over all of your planning and make sure you got everything done.  Did you send Aunt Susie that candle you bought her? Ship home all your presents? Wrap every last box?

Holiday shopping is surely a handful, but it doesn’t need to be stressful.  By planning ahead and staying on top of your checklist, you will be sure to have a holly jolly holiday season!

Celia is a freshman at Boston University in the College of Communication.  She is currently undecided but is interested in Public Relations and Mass Communication.  Her outside interests include fashion, fitness, and fine dining.  When she is not studying or working for HerCampus, she spends her time filming and editing YouTube videos for her fashion and lifestyle channel.  She hopes to someday be a celebrity event planner or host her own talk show.  In the meantime, she plans to take in college one day at a time. Check out Celia's YouTube channel and follow her on Twitter.www.youtube.com/user/StyleMeCeliaTwitter: @stylemecelia
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis