This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

At one point or another in our lives, we wonder what it’s like to be a famous entertainer. Most of the time, we only see the perks of fame: the fancy cars, the mansions, the gorgeous designer gowns at awards shows. What we don’t see is all the hard work it takes to reach that level of stardom.

I know about that struggle all too well. While I’m clearly not an A-list actress, I have been professional for a few years now. I have done national television shows, commercials, music videos, you name it. While it is definitely a fun and rewarding career, it takes a lot of hard work and dedication. It requires patience, marketing skills, and talent.

Below is a list of tools and techniques that I have learned from my personal journey as an actor, which are crucial to success in show business. Do you have what it takes?

1. Market Yourself

This rule can be applied to almost any career you pursue. For actors, marketing is ~crucial~ to your success. Social media has become my best friend in order to be seen by other actors and casting directors. Every time I do a shoot, I post on my Instagram what I filmed and include tons of hashtags that relate to acting (#theater, #commercials, #television… you get the idea.) I also use Facebook for my personal acting page, which links to my IMDb and other websites that show my work. In today’s world, it is so easy to market yourself. It allows you to be discovered and makes it easier for your performances to be seen by directors and agents, so post away!

2. Get in Front of Other Industry Professionals!

CONNECTIONS. They are so, so important. Again, this is applicable to everyday life; however, the entertainment industry is all about who you know. If you meet actors on a job, get their number or friend them on social media! They may refer you for other jobs in the future. Additionally, the more you work with a certain director or casting agent, the more likely you will be to book future jobs with them. Personally, I have gotten cast for multiple projects because the director I worked with on a shoot liked me. So be personable, make connections, and be professional! It will help you out in the long run.

3. Take Classes

Many people think acting is easy. Wrong. Believe it or not, you actually need to be trained or have some form of acting education. Like any other job, acting has terminology and methods that you need to know in order to perform on a professional job. So take this seriously. It is a profession, just like anything else. And you can always learn and improve.

4. Stay Humble

Nothing irritates fellow actors or casting directors more than a person with an inflated ego. Being humble is so important — nobody wants to work with a prima donna. There will always be a more talented actor than you, and there will always be someone who has done more projects than you. Learn from these people. They’re successful for a reason.

5. Lastly, Enjoy Yourself

Some days on set last for sixteen hours. Some call times will be at 5 a.m. It’s not always glamorous; like any job, acting has its downsides. It can be long and draining, but if you truly enjoy it, and immerse yourself in the experience, it can be very rewarding. Casting directors and the crew can tell when actors want to be there or when they are hating every minute of it, so take the good with the bad and enjoy the rare experience of working on a set! Plus, watching yourself on TV when your project airs is pretty fun, too.

Follow these steps, and maybe one day, your name will be on the Walk of Fame. As they say in show biz…break a leg!

Christy is a broadcast journalism major with a cinema & media studies focus at Boston University, class of 2018. She aspires to be a news anchor for a major network. In her spare time, she is an actress! Check out her journalism site at christymatino.weebly.com and her acting site at christymatino.com
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.