How To Be Gluten Free at BU

I’ve been gluten-free for three years because I get insane migraines when I eat wheat. Sometimes it can be difficult to stick to this lifestyle, but luckily Boston University offers a variety of options to keep everyone happy. Keep reading for my favorite tips and tricks to stay gluten-free in college.

1. Get access to the gluten-free pantry.

Image result for sign language gluten free gif

There is a gluten-free pantry in every dining hall at Boston University. You can gain swipe access through your BU ID if you take a class in Sargent and get certified. It’s super easy and only takes 30 minutes. After you get certified, you can access all the gluten-free food in the dining hall. They actually have really yummy cookies, bread, and even waffles. It’s definitely worth it to take the class!  

2. City Co’s gluten-free section.

City Co has a small area with lots of gluten-free snacks! My favorites, although sometimes out of stock, are the peanut butter crackers and also the sesame seed crackers. I will sometimes buy the crackers and then buy a small jar of hummus because the hummus usually comes with pretzels, which I cannot eat. Another benefit of buying gluten-free snacks at City Co is that you can use your convenience points. Other easy gluten-free snacks to buy at City Co include kind bars, dried fruit, and nuts.

3. The sandwiches in the GSU can be made gluten-free.

Image result for subway sandwich making gif

The Charles River Bread Co., or more commonly known as the place where you can customize your own sandwich in the GSU, offers gluten-free bread at no extra charge! This was a life-changing discovery for me. I thought I was doomed to only get salads at the GSU because it’s one of the only gluten-free options, but I was wrong! They do warn that cross contamination may occur, so be wary of that. Also, the deli meat is boars head, which is also gluten-free.

4. The gluten-free breakfast sandwich from Starbucks.

Image result for starbucks breakfast sandwiches gif

Starbucks offers a gluten-free breakfast sandwich that is actually yummy. And, if the Starbucks is on campus, you can pay for it using convenience or dining points! The sandwich has ham, cheese, and a gluten-free English muffin. It’s an easy option for a quick breakfast before class or a huge test. Starbucks also offers sriracha and avocado for extras on your sandwich if you’re feeling inspired. They also have other gluten-free snacks including Tillamook cheese squares and different flavors of popcorn.

5. The gluten-free station in the dining hall.

Image result for grilled chicken cooking gif

There is always one gluten-free station in the dining hall at BU and it'll have a sign marking it as gluten-free. Usually, it’s some sort of grilled chicken with vegetables and rice. Sometimes, they offer gluten-free pasta which can be good. I like to get the grilled chicken and rice, skip the vegetables, and then get a salad with lots of chickpeas, feta, and carrots.

Overall, BU does a good job of accommodating people who are gluten-free and offers a lot of options. Let me know in the comments if there are any other places on campus that offer good gluten-free fare!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!