This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Walking down Commonwealth Avenue in the past few weeks, you might have noticed some new advertisements: pictures of fresh-faced models and something called Boy Brow. This is courtesy of Glossier, the cosmetics brand that grew out of its founder’s fashion blog and promises to give you a radiant, natural look. Personally, I love this brand. I’ve been using their products for years, and I swear by Generation GWowder, and their Milk Jelly Cleanser. Plus, the pink bubble-wrap Ziploc bags they come in are cute and great for storing makeup and toiletries. 

Photo Credit: nycsubway.buividllc.com 

However, even though their products are high-quality, Glossier can be pretty expensive. Not a lot of college students (myself included!) can afford to pay $18 plus shipping for a single lipstick.

Photo Credit: Glossier

In this article, I’m going to show you how to achieve signature and fresh-faced the Glossier look with makeup you can buy at the drugstore. 

1. Moisturizer: Peach Slices Starlit Glow Highlighting Moisturizer.

Photo Credit: domino.com 

Glossier really emphasizes that the base of any good makeup routine is skincare. In order to really look like the model above, you need to start with a good moisturizer. This one is pretty affordable and promises to give you that iridescent, glowy complexion that will serve as a foundation for your makeup. 

2. Face: Physician’s Formula Super BB All-in-1 Beauty Balm Cream.

Photo Credit: Walgreens

Because the brand promotes healthy skin and a no-makeup makeup look, Glossier does not currently sell a full-coverage foundation. This BB cream, which will smooth out any blemishes while at the same time moisturizing and protecting your skin from the sun, will give your face the same look as the Stretch Concealer or Perfecting Skin Tint. 

3. Lips: Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Tinted Lip Balm.

Photo Credit: jsmvariety via eBay

Although nothing (in my opinion) can top the sheer-yet-matte look of Generation G, I also love this tinted lip balm from Burt’s Bees. This will leave a sheer veil of color on your lips while making them look fuller and preventing them from getting chapped in the cold winter air.

4. Eyes: Wet n Wild Mega Volume Waterproof Mascara and MegaGlo Liquid Highlighter.

Photo Credit: krydtinascloset.com

One of the things that makes a Glossier makeup look distinctive is the message in the brand name itself: a glossy finish. This is especially true for their Lidstar, which leaves your eyes looking iridescent without the pigment of a shadow. Although I haven’t found any product exactly like this at the drugstore, I think using a highlighter as a sort of liquid eyeshadow would give you a similar effect. You can also use this highlighter on your face to enhance the natural glow from your BB cream and moisturizer. As for the mascara, this one will give your lashes a natural-looking lift.

5. Eyebrows: e.l.f. Beautifully Bare Sheer Tint Brow Gel.

Photo Credit: theaestheticedge.com 

The last category is one of the most iconic ones when it comes to Glossier’s brand. One of Glossier’s most famous products is their Boy Brow, which is a gel that makes your eyebrows look thicker, groomed, and filled in. A product that I have found that does an almost equally great job is this e.l.f. brow gel. Like Boy Brow, this gel will keep your brows in place while at the same time giving them more definition.

The total cost of all of these products (using prices from CVS) is $36.85. A list of the same types of products at Glossier is $116. Even though I love to buy stuff from Glossier, it’s pretty simple to get the same kind of look in a way that’s a lot easier on my wallet. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Katie is a freshman at BU majoring in Sociology. She is passionate about intersectionality, public health, and sitcoms, so please talk to her about those things. Katie is from Long Island, which means she drinks iced coffee all year round, uses frequent curse words, and hates Boston bagels.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.