Hot Girl Scholar Is Back: 8 Must-Haves for the New Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s been several weeks since the school started, yet you feel like your heart is still on holiday. Staring at your dorm filled with your old school supplies and piles of handouts scattering around, you decided to go a school supplies run. And here you are, scrolling on your phone and finding yourself in over your head about what to purchase. Luckily, I have 8 must-haves to help you strive instead of survive this new semester!

A cute backpack to carry the essentials

The first thing is to have a backpack that carries your everyday essentials. Tired of basic ones like Kanken, heavy ones like The North Face, or expensive ones like Louis Vitton? There are plenty of niche brands that do well on backpacks, such as HYPE, RAINS, and Everlane. They have multiple layers and side pockets to place your things ranging from a 13-inch MacBook to a small lipstick, and steady straps that don’t hurt your shoulders. Check out their websites and order your favorite one!

A planner to keep you on track

Find it’s hard to get things done? Or even find it’s harder to start to get things done? That’s probably because you don’t have a planner that can list all the to-dos and keep you on track. Having been obsessed with bullet journals for years, Japanese planners such as Hobonichi and Midori are my all-time favorites. Their layouts are clear, designs are aesthetically pleasing, and paper is smooth for writing. Why not start a day by creating checklists on your planner, and check them off one by one throughout the day? You can obtain a sense of ritual and satisfaction that motivates you to keep on your good work!

A folder to keep your handouts organized

It’s the worst when you try to track down your old handouts to do some review but end up failing to find them in a giant, messy pile. It’s time to get yourself some colorful folders and classify your handouts in terms of subjects and put them into separate folders.

A cardholder, because no one likes a lost BU ID

You always have important personal belongings with you – school ID, driver’s license, credit card, membership card, and so on – and it’s never a pleasant experience if you lose one of them. Having a cardholder can not only organize your cards to prevent you from losing them but also make it less time-consuming when you pull out your card from your wallet when shopping or swiping into your dorm. You can always find your personalized or handmade cardholder from online shops or small boutiques.

Eyedrops, for all-nighters at the library

When you have spent a whole day in the library working on your papers and stuff, your eyes inevitably start to get dry. Especially for those of you who wear contacts, make sure that you put your eyedrops in your bag. They’ll relieve the eye strain and remove the redness in your eyes, which will make you more comfortable.

Headphones to listen to fun songs and podcasts

When cramming for the upcoming midterms and finals in the library, you don’t want to let other murmurings distract you. Put on your noise-canceling headphones and continue on drowning into the sea of readings, diagrams, and data! Jamming out to some calm music or white noise on Spotify to help you stay focused.

A water bottle to keep you hydrated

While those overpriced water bottles are becoming the millennial’s indispensable accessory, staying hydrated is crucial for your daily life. Always remember to fulfill your water bottle with pure water, refreshing tea or strong coffee if you are a caffeine addict, then you will have better digestion and thus your brain can be more energized to keep functioning.

A diffuser to help you relax at home

After a long day, all you want to do is just chill in your own room, wrap up all your work so far, maybe do some readings out of interest, swipe into some friends’ direct messages, or put on your favorite Netflix show. Having a diffuser on your nightstand can improve your happiness level. Add some essential oil to your diffuser and treat yourself with aromatherapy on a Friday night!

Now that you are equipped with the school essentials, there should be no excuse for you to start focusing on school! Get those library hours up, surround yourself with educated peers, and have inspiring coffee chats every so often. I’m sure you will ace your classes this semester!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Zhilan is a current sophomore at Boston University. Being an extroverted introvert, she loves to cook healthy food, explore aesthetic coffee shops, and read mysteries.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.