Home For the Holidays: A Reflection On My First Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I absolutely love Boston. I love living on campus, exploring, meeting new people, and making great friends. I’ve always wanted to live in a city, with all its freedom and openness, so being in Boston is a dream come true. As a first-semester freshman, I’ve only spent about three months here so far, but it has quickly become home. 

I was a little nervous at first about moving to Boston because it’s so different from my hometown, but I could not have made a better choice for myself. It was a bit of a rocky start at first (especially with this strange year), but it turned out better than I could imagine and I’m grateful for it all. Packing up my dorm room and getting ready to wrap up my first semester at my new home was very bittersweet. I was so excited to be back home, but I knew I would soon miss my new city. 

aerial view of Boston high-rise buildings and Fenway Park
todd kent/Unsplash
That being said, I do miss my small New Jersey town. I miss my family, my cat, and my friends from home. I miss driving around— with or without a destination— and eating the best bagels and breakfast sandwiches. I’m excited to be back, but I’m sure it will feel very strange after being away for so long. I’m also looking forward to having time off from class and getting to rest for a while. I think we all deserve a break after that crazy semester!

Winter break is always one of my favorite times of the year. Thanksgiving and Christmas are so fun and joyful. I love the snow (even when it means shoveling my driveway), the beautiful lights, and the precious time spent with family and friends. Obviously, the holidays are very different this year for most people because travel is restricted. For me, they are actually pretty normal because my extended family all lives so far away that I rarely see them regardless, so my holidays usually consist of just my parents and my brother. Still, it’s going to be very sad to not be able to see my friends as normal or make our yearly Christmastime trip to New York City.

Unsplash; Arun Kuchibhotla
I also know that I’m extremely lucky to have the ability to go home. Sadly, a lot of people couldn’t leave campus because of COVID-19 and quarantine rules, and my heart goes out to everyone apart from their families.

I’ll miss Boston, and I can’t wait to see that Citgo sign again soon!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hi! I'm Martha, and I'm a psychology major from New Jersey. I love reading, writing, listening to music, eating ice cream, and meeting new people!